Wyeast 1056 crazy starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Ive done quite a few starters on my stirplate, and I never see any krausen. I put a starter of 1056 going a couple of days ago and went by later that day and it had about a 2 inches of krausen on it. The next day it was gone. I steped it up yesterday at lunch an by last night I had about 6-8 inches in the carafe that I do the starters in. This morning I noticed some had come out from under the foil and ran down the side, but it had receeded down to about 3-4 inches by morning.

Is this common for 1056, this is the first Im time using this yeast. I think a blowoff tube is going to be a MUST for this beer.

Is this common for 1056, this is the first Im time using this yeast. I think a blowoff tube is going to be a MUST for this beer.

I don't know, but would not be worried at all. I have used it 3 times and never had much krausen in my starters. I use FermcapS so I have never had a blowoff. IMO it is always wise to set up for blowoff.

I wouldn't say this is isolated to 1056 only. I've had this happen with many different types of yeast so now I just put a thin plastic Tupperware lid under my flask to catch any blowoff while it's on the stir plate.

I actually put some saran wrap over the top of the stirplate and then set the whole thing on a tuperware top.

Back