WLP727 and a Nelson Wheatwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I've been working on a recipe for a wheatwine that I'm hoping will be very wine-like. I'm considering using this strain and was wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge using WLP727 Steinberg-Geisenheim in wort. I chose this strain because of its suitability for Gewurztraminer. I'll be adding some Alexander's Gewurztraminer to the wort at high krausen.

Grainbill:
11# Rahr Pale (47.8%)
7# Rahr White Wheat (30.4%)
3# Rahr Red Wheat (13%)
1# Honey Malt (4.3%)
1# Torrified Wheat (4.3%)

Hops:
.5 oz Pacific Gem @60 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @20min
.5 oz Pacific Gem @5min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @5min

OG: 1.123
13.51 SRM
12.42% ABV without the concentrate
IBU: 73.5

Ferment primarily with WLP727 and at high krausen add the concentrate (how much? not sure). But I'm concerned 727 won't be able to eat all the sugars ale yeast would. So, pitch WLP565 (to match the fruitiness) at high krausen. But won't the 727 kill the 565? I don't want it to have too much saison character so I don't want to pitch 565 primarily. Maybe I can just ferment 100% 727?

I'm thinking 1/2 pound of the Gewurztraminer. It is 68 Brix.

Shoot your thoughts at me.

-Tyler

I have used the Steinberg yeast for fruity white wines. It takes a long time to ferment out and likes a lower temperature than other white wine yeasts. The low temperature of the ferment helps to preserve fruit flavors and aromas. It will likely ferment out to dry in my experience. To get residual sweetness the typical gewurz will have some juice or conditioner added after the wine is stabilized with something like sorbate and meta.

If you don't want too much saison flavor but want something that will eat damn near anything, try wyeast 3711. Not sure if wine yeast will kill it, and not sure that it will leave anything if it doesn't.

Yea, you can't use wine yeast for beer. Beer is made up of lots of different sugars, primarily maltose. Wine yeast is only capable of digesting the smaller simpler sugars like glucose and fructose. You will end up with a stuck fermentation and a super sweet beer.

Back