Southern Hemisphere Wheat (motueka, nelson sauvin, galaxy and pacific jade)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
I picked up some pacific jade, galaxy, motueka, and nelson sauvin hops and am going to make a hoppy wheat. Since these aren't avail. in whole leaf (or at least I can't find them), I'm going to run some citra whole leaf (or maybe simcoe....suggestions please ????) through the hopback. Would appreciate any/all suggestions:

14 gal. kettle vol.
90% efficiency
final vol. 11.28 gal.
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013

11 lb (56.4%) Red Wheat Malt; Briess - added during mash
8 lb (38.5%) 2-Row Brewers Malt; Briess - added during mash Aromatic Malt; Briess - added during mash
1 lb (5.1%) Aromatic - added during mash
1 oz (8.3%) Pacific Jade (13.0%) - added first wort,
2 oz (8.3%) Motueka (7.0%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
2 oz (8.3%) Galaxy (12%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
2 oz (8.3%) Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m
2 oz (16.7%) CitraTM (12.0%) - added Hopback
2 oz (16.7%) Motueka dry hop
2 oz (16.7%) Galaxy dry hop
2 oz (16.7%) Nelson Sauvin dry hop

154F mash - 90m. boil

Thanks !

Here we go......

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387643101.025034.jpg

Whirlpooling. Went with .50oz each of Nelson. Motueka, galaxy at 5m and then 1.5oz each of the same at 185f for 20m and whirlpooled.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387657456.694101.jpg

Passion fruit beer!!!. Motueka is awesome IMHO. I did a pils with it and it was sensational. Galaxy too, yum.

Interesting ! I think my next brew day is going to be a lager so maybe an imperial pils with motueka is in my future !

Photos of the hoprocket in action. Forgot to mention the OG came in right on 1.055. Fermenters are bubbling away right now. Some real nice hoppy aromas coming out of the airlock right now !!

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Took a reading today and it's now at 1.014 on the wlp001 batch. Didn't take reading on he San Diego super yeast batch but assume it's the same. Aroma and taste on the hydro sample is fantastic. I'm going to cold crash the Wlp001 batch for 24 hrs and then keg it on Monday and see what it's like without dry hops. Super Yeast batch will get dry hopping and will transfer that one today and dry hop for a week and then keg.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388339954.269020.jpg

I decided to take a reading on the San Diego super yeast and it was 1.014 also. Aroma seems to be stronger on this batch, probably because this batch was the first pass on the hop rocket. With that in mind, it was much cloudier than the all wlp001 batch. Yeast didn't appear to floc out as fast. Will be dry hopping this one in a couple of days. The all wlp001 batch is cold crashing at the moment and will be kegged tomorrow and pouring on tap in this next weekend.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388359186.354466.jpg

Kegged the WLP001 batch last night. Was a bit worried about diacetyl being present due to short fermentation and cold crashing times. Didn't taste any in the hydro sample and Infact the beer tasted quite nice. Needed to get this one on tap for a party this weekend so this one is getting served up quicker than I normally prefer and minus a dry hop addition. We'll see what happens.

Kegged the sandiego super yeast batch this weekend with gelatin. fG was 1.013. It was dry hopped with galaxy, Nelson, and motueka. Very aromatic and good balanced flavor on the hydro sample. I'll try some samples this next weekend. The 001 batch that I first kegged is still young tasting. Unfortunately it's just not ready for consumption for whatever reason. I'm actually going to go ahead and bottle the entire batch and store it away for a month and figure it should be great by that time. Also it's got a smidge of directly, probably because I was stupid and kegged it way too early instead of letting it clean up directly in the secondary. That's probably also why it still has young flavors.

In any event I'm optimistic about the super yeast batch that was dry hopped. The sample leads me to believe that its good and ready so we will see once it's kegged.

So I brewed this back on 12/21 and the beer didn't really come together until 1/14. I had sampled some off the keg on Sunday 1/12 and it still had a green taste to it and was pretty harsh, was also pretty cloudy. Well, fast fwd a couple of days to 1/14 and the beer is now crystal clear and the hop aromas and flavors are really awesome. Every day that I've tried this one, it just keeps improving. So I'm laughing, I tried to hustle this one into a keg and obviously that didn't work because it needed 10 days in the primary (min.) and at least another week to 2 weeks in the secondary before going into the keg. The beer is ready when it decides it's ready !! I'll post some photos and tasting notes this weekend for the batch that wasn't dry hopped. I just kegged the dry hop batch and it will cold condition for about a week or so. My plan is to use my blichmann bottle gun to empty off the first keg (no dry hop batch) into bottles so I can serve the dry hop batch off the taps. I'll also bottle some of those (just trying to figure out which one would be best suited for competition entries...probably the one without dry hops since it would be way outside style guidelines for a wheat).

Here's a photo of the San Diego super yeast dry hop batch. So much better looking and tasting than the other batch. Body is smoother and taste of the spiciness from batch 1 that I didn't like is more rounded and not as harsh Aroma is nice too. Good stone and passion fruit. Non dry hop is more melon rind aroma. Don't get me wrong. Both batches are good. One is melony and the other ( dry hop) is more deep hoppy citrus passion fruity and melon rind. Interestingly head retention on non dry hop 001 batch is better than super yeast dry hop.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390000528.937749.jpg

Back