WL320 for a fruit wheat beer. Questions from those who have used 320

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cervid

Reaction score
This is my first time using this yeast and my first time making a fruit beer.. It's getting close to finishing, around 1.020 now, and I was planning to rack onto the puree just before it finished. As in tonight.. since I estimate it would finish at 1.015 or so.

But.. It still has a super milky and thick krausen that looks like I could float a toy boat on it.. It's had this awesome krausen the whole time and I just don't see it falling before the fermentation gets further than when I want to rack it.

I can't imagine it matters. I've racked plenty of beers and ciders while they are nearing the end of fermentation, but none with this pronounced of a krausen, or onto fruit, or with this yeast.

Should I wait for it to fall? My understanding was I want to rack onto the fruit before it finishes completely.

I have made a couple of wheat based beers for fruit with the WLP320, and I have gotten that same layer every time. The beers are outstanding. Don't sweat it, and go ahead and transfer it. You will have a secondary fermentation no matter what since the fruit will have sugar in it. I consistently end in the 1.005 - 1.010 range.

That's what I did. It was mainly stuck to the shoulder of the carboy, once it started draining it was not as frothy as I thought.

It's been on the fruit for a 3 days and it all sunk down. I am going to give it a swirl tonight and take a reading and taste. I'm thinking it might need another day or two on the fruit, but maybe not. It would be nice to get it in the corny before the weekend's over. I have some people that will be around next weekend and may want to sample it.

Back