Whole batch not carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisM

Reaction score
So I made a batch of english bitter beer and the whole batch lacks carbonation, it is completely flat. This is my 8th batch,the first one with this kind of problem and the only thing I changed is the sanitation agent, in the first seven batches I used Chemipro OXI and this time I used bleach in 19ml to 5 liter proportion with good rinsing. I haven't found anyone that had this problem while using bleach as cleaning agent. This is the only thing I did differently from the last batch, I have no idea what else could it be. Any ideas?

Did you forget the priming sugar? I brewed for years with bleach and rinse, and never had an issue. Iodophor and Starsan now... It takes less effort with no down side.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bleach shouldn't be an issue I'd you rinsed and/or dried well. My guess would be priming sugar or keeping bottles in a cold area of the house to carbonate. Did you mix the priming sugar? Sometimes some bottles will get much more sugar than others...

I have primed the batch (even a little more that before, some 7% than the last one), also it was in a (not completely) dark place, at a steady 21 degrees celsius. My first batch was this same english bitter and when I opened it ten days after bottling, it had good carbonation... Bottles could have been a little wet before bottling, can that and to what extent, affect carbonation?

Bottles could have been a little wet before bottling, can that and to what extent, affect carbonation?

Mine are dripping wet (with Starsan) when I bottle and I have never experienced a problem.

So it's been 10 days? How do you know the whole batch isn't carbonated? Did you open every one?

I opened two of them, so yes, my definition is inaccurate. :)

I know what you will say, I need to be patient and I will but what troubles me is that the same beer came out pretty good the first time I did it and opened it ten days later...

I made an Apple Pie Ale, at two weeks I had zero carbonation. It was at least a month more after the initial 2 weeks until it had full cabonation. No idea why, I did everything the same as all my batches and this is my only brew to do this.... It sucks, but dont fret, setv them aside and forget about them, come back and maybe you'll get lucky and have carbed bottles like I did!

Well, like I said I will be patient and wait so hopefully it will get better with time but I would like to know why this happened and why is this batch different from the last one when I treated them both the same...

Well, like I said I will be patient and wait so hopefully it will get better with time but I would like to know why this happened and why is this batch different from the last one when I treated them both the same...

I usually assign it to planitary alignment. When venus and jupiter are in a falling house and a rooster crows at sundown, you get poor carbonation. You need to kill the rooster :)

Back