Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > White spots on krausen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
idedek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White spots on krausen

I am doing an open fermentation in a Saison I am making. I have done several open fementations and never had this problem before. There are 2 white spots(about the size of a quarter) on the Krausen that are slowly getting larger. I am assuming that I have a bacterial infection but I'm not sure. Should I just scoop them out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by idedek View Post
I am doing an open fermentation in a Saison I am making. I have done several open fementations and never had this problem before. There are 2 white spots(about the size of a quarter) on the Krausen that are slowly getting larger. I am assuming that I have a bacterial infection but I'm not sure. Should I just scoop them out?
Sanitize your spoon well and in my opinion it is worth a try even if it is not an infection. Be careful to get well under the spots so that you don't disturb them.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
sentfromspain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree.

I had a perfectly good stout ruined by some vanilla bean that had a hidden invader of some kind.

Do what you can to keep the spots from mixing or breaking apart. Like using a really large spoon.

Quick Reply