When to pitch a Saccharomyces yeast if at all into a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Berliner Weisse that had a OG of 1.030 and I had made a lacto starter from WLP677 with 1/2g of apple juice and let it go for about 5 days in the garage ~90-100 degrees so it was pretty much done.

At any rate, the ferment of 2 5.5+ gallons of liquid fermentors was off and running really quick from stickly lacto.

2 days in and I took a reading of ~1.007 and 3 days down it is near 1.000.

Tasting it at this temperature I don't get a lot of tartness to it but I am wondering if that is due to the temp and my untrained tongue.

I could always add a pit of latic acid to get the slight tartness addition I am looking for.

My main question is if it is worth adding a Saccharomyces yeast at this point, I mean I am pretty much at the FG I am looking for and definitely be there in another day or two just from latco.

Looking for some sour guys out there.

I did the method of giving the lacto a head start but it seemed to be finishing off the job.

sacc yeast won't do much at this point. i tried to make a berliner weisse and had the same experience, not tart at all. my next sour was made with yeast out of a bottle of beatification and it tastes exactly like the best berliner weisse i've ever had even though that was not the intention.

I checked the gravity with a hydrometer and I am at like 1.007-8 as of last night. Turned down the fridge as it was still at 84F without the fridge on :eek: and will pitch some US05 tonight.

what are the US-05 yeast going to eat?

hopefully a few more points, I figured I might as well put it in, I didn't waste my liquid WLP001 on the batch though, that is how much faith I have in it :eek:

I was sitting at around 75% attenuation but I have seen these kinds of beers do much more so I figured it can't hurt.

Back