Whats your favorite IPA yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So for all my IPA's thus far its been good ole s-04 s-05 and Notty for yeast. While they are certainly fine yeasts I'd like to try my hand at some liquid yeasts. Whats your go to yeast for a great IPA?

White Labs California Ale and San Diego Super Yeast have given me good results.

My 'go-to' is WLP001, but I also like Wyeast 1335 (it's an English strain, but it's not 'englishy' and it makes a super clear beer in the end) and I'm really getting into Omega's OLY-004 (also a chico strain like WLP001). It cleared the beer better than S05 for sure, and I almost never use S05 anymore.

There was a special 'private collection' IPA yeast that Wyeast had this fall, but I can't remember the number. Anyway, I loved that one and have used it about 4 times for IPAs and APAs, and have some stored in the fridge for next time.

I have over a dozen strains in my fridge, but my default for American IPAs is Notty; it's clean, attenuative and floccs really well. 007 (used cool) and 090 are like that, but maybe more so across the board. For something a little different, you might try 1028. For very different, but still very good, I'd say Conan/Vermont or a Belgian.

Wyeast 1217-PC, West Coast IPA, rumored to be from Stone brewing.

I use the above, and Wyeast 1764-PC, Rogue Pacman, almost exclusively for ales.

Love 'em.

Wyeast 1217-PC, West Coast IPA, rumored to be from Stone brewing.

I use the above, and Wyeast 1764-PC, Rogue Pacman, almost exclusively for ales.

Love 'em.

how are these on temps. And where does one find the paceman strain anymore. I ferment in my basement where ambient temps are now around 61 deg and summer maybe 64deg ambient. Are both the strains u mentioned real sensitive to temps before throwing esters. Typically in the high point of fermentation my temps within the carboys get to 70 deg. I'd also like to try something diff than the 001, 04, 05 I use now for my ipa's and apa's.

how are these on temps. And where does one find the paceman strain anymore. I ferment in my basement where ambient temps are now around 61 deg and summer maybe 64deg ambient. Are both the strains u mentioned real sensitive to temps before throwing esters. Typically in the high point of fermentation my temps within the carboys get to 70 deg. I'd also like to try something diff than the 001, 04, 05 I use now for my ipa's and apa's.
I use a temperature controlled fermentation cooler and start at the low end of recommended temperatures for the first few days and then slowly ramp up towards the high end. 1217 (62-74deg) & 1764 (60-72deg). Have always gotten good, clean, tasty, beers. I don't brew enough to experiment with temperatures.

I keep a yeast bank going. Purchase smack pack and make a starter. Decant and divide into three small mason jars. Use two for 5 gallon batches with starter and store the third one and replay the process.

I believe Pacman is available year round from one particular vendor, maybe others. MoreBeer Pacman

Any difference in Omega's or Gigayeast's version of Conan?

I've only used Yeast Bay Vermont Ale but I imagine they are all the same. Gigayeast comes in a 'pitchable' size so no starter is required. Seems I recall RiteBrew having it at a good price.

Depends on the IPA. American 05
English? 04
I make a German IPA using German yeast, hops and grain. K-97 which I can't get anymore. :-(

Yeast 1056. Love that stuff! Hold it at 18°C and there is almost a peach flavor that comes along nicely with a nice dose of Citra hops (dry hop)

Supposedly wlp-090 is really similar. Ive never used pacman, but that's what Ive read

I know that's the Chico strain ie Sierra Nevada beer strain, how similar that is to pacman, the rogue beer strain, I have no idea never used either. I may try ithe 090 in my dipa just to see what happens. I love how these breweries claim "house" strains of yeast that have been around forever.

+1
Just used this on a Pale Ale and an IPA...my new, favorite hoppy beer yeast by far. Like it so much that I will will learn how to cultivate the yeast just to keep some on hand at all times.

What did u feel it added to ur beers. Does it flocc out really and have high attenuation to accent hops.

I know that's the Chico strain ie Sierra Nevada beer strain, how similar that is to pacman, the rogue beer strain, I have no idea never used either. I may try ithe 090 in my dipa just to see what happens. I love how these breweries claim "house" strains of yeast that have been around forever.

All I can say is that the 090 is a beast. Fastest and most effective attenuating yeast Ive ever used. That sucker will clean up a beer like none other. And its super clean too. Leaves no off flavors even when it has fermented in conditions that aren't ideal for most yeasties

WLP007 for ales at my house. Ferment it around 64 for the first few days and it's nice and clean for American IPA's. Ferments quickly and floccs out really well. I dig.

Cheers.

I think I'm gonna have to try some 1272 and 1217. Both in stock at my LHBS. I'm using a ton of citra these days so I think those sound would complement nice because of the fruity esters. Any suggestions on temps? I'm not a big fan of the banana esters so hopefully these don't produce those. Thanks for all the suggestions

Also give the Wyeast Burton Ale blend a try. It's a limited release like the 1217. Both ferment vigorously for 3-4 days and then drop out nice and clearly.

I think I'm gonna have to try some 1272 and 1217. Both in stock at my LHBS. I'm using a ton of citra these days so I think those sound would complement nice because of the fruity esters. Any suggestions on temps? I'm not a big fan of the banana esters so hopefully these don't produce those. Thanks for all the suggestions

The yeast has fruity undertones over the whole range. Between 60-64F it is more citrusy, orange and pomelo. Between 68-72F more toward fruity esters, passion fruit, pineapple, mango, playing well with hops. It's subtle and very smooth.

Nice yeast for IPAs. Slow flocculator though. Definitely needs a cold crash for a few days to a week to settle most out, but remains hazy for a long time. If you want it crystal clear use gelatin. Then dry hop.

There is no trace of banana or bubblegum.

I just recently got into making IPAs and the recipe I've been brewing calls for Wyeast 1098. I am a noob when it comes to IPAs but was really impressed with my first couple of batches!

My favorites....

1. 007 dry English ale
2. 644 it's not Brett yeast :)
3. Conan
4. San Diego super yeast
5. SA-05

Not in that order...but these are my house strains...

I am currently brewing an IPA with a Conan Brett mix from the yeast bay called "funk town". This may be my new IPA play toy....it fermented a 1.078 to 1.014 in 3 days. I let the temp get up to 73 as an experiment. I wanted to see if the Brett funk would be more pronounced. I racked into secondary and dry hoped it. So far a very clean and fruity beer...similar to 644. I think this is going to be a great strain!!! Stay tuned for details.

My favorites....

1. 007 dry English ale
2. 644 it's not Brett yeast :)
3. Conan
4. San Diego super yeast
5. SA-05

Not in that order...but these are my house strains...

I am currently brewing an IPA with a Conan Brett mix from the yeast bay called "funk town". This may be my new IPA play toy....it fermented a 1.078 to 1.014 in 3 days. I let the temp get up to 73 as an experiment. I wanted to see if the Brett funk would be more pronounced. I racked into secondary and dry hoped it. So far a very clean and fruity beer...similar to 644. I think this is going to be a great strain!!! Stay tuned for details.

I realize I am resurrecting this thread but I brewed an IPA yesterday with wlp 644 and am blown away by the fruity smells coming out of my fermenter this morning! I have brewed A LOT of IPAs over the years and this is by far the most unique fermentation aroma I have come across.

I really wanted to try Imperials 'dry hop' yeast (a blend of the sacc trois and Conan) but my lhbs was out so I went straight sacc trois.

Anyone else have experience with this yeast in an IPA or another lesser known yeast they like in their IPAs? The yeast options available these days are staggering...

Back