Unusual Question: Can I do anything to re-start fermentation AFTER kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
OK. So I brewed the Black Forest Stout All-Grain recipe from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles book. I have never been one to take measurements during fermentation because up to this point, everything has been fine. Well...

So I have had the stout in the carboy for 3 weeks total. It was 1 week for primary fermentation. Once fermentation slowed I added the cherry puree directly to the primary (per advice gleaned from HBT). This restarted semi-vigourous fermentation for another day or two with moderate bubbling for another 2 or so. After two more weeks (yesterday), I racked the beer into the keg. As I was racking though, I thought, "Let's take a reading." I did. The beer is supposed to be 1.018. The beer I racked was 1.030.

Is there anything I can do? It's been in the keezer since yesterday. Would it be OK to transfer it back into the carboy and repitch new yeast? Or could I pitch yeast directly into the keg (after bringing it back to pitching temps) and just release pressure every few hours (or even removing the pressure release valve and installing a bubbler) and let it sit for another few weeks to see what it does?

This was an expensive brew (over $80 for 5 gallons). I know I should have been taking more readings (lesson learned). I'm still new. But if there is anyway I can salvage this batch, I would appreciate your input.

Or could I pitch yeast directly into the keg (after bringing it back to pitching temps) and just release pressure every few hours (or even removing the pressure release valve and installing a bubbler) and let it sit for another few weeks to see what it does?

Right idea. Just turn the relief valve's loop a quarter turn and it will stay open.

On the other hand, not knowing the OG it is impossible to say if 1.030 isn't the FG. 80 bucks buys a heck of a lot of makings.

Yeah, just go ahead and pitch the yeast directly into the keg. A lot of people ferment in kegs around here. There are few different options for releasing the CO2. I've seen people that attach a QD with a small piece of tubing and then stick an airlock into the tubing.

Do you have a spare keg? If so, repitching in the keg makes complete sense as you'll want to transfer off the cake when it completes. If not, racking to a fermentation vessel now, while you still have fermentation to complete is better than double transferring completed beer.

Yeah, I've got a spare keg. I'm sending SWMBO to the LHBS tomorrow to pick up a smack pack. Thanks for the tips. We'll see how it goes.

I've seen people that attach a QD with a small piece of tubing and then stick an airlock into the tubing.

I'd stick the tube into a jug of sanitizer in case there's blowoff.

But just throwing yeast into a (mostly?) fermented beer might not do anything. I would make a small starter and add it to the beer when it's nearing high kraeusen. You want the yeast to be fully awake and active.:)

Back