Transporting wort before pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am planning on brewing this weekend across town. Then transporting 10 gallons back to my house. Is there any issue if I transport the wort back home before pitching? Is there a certain timeframe I need to pitch the yeast once the wort has cooled down?

Thanks,
Lorne

Just keep it sealed (to avoid infections) and it's not an issue at all. Look up no-chill brewing, some people keep wort in airtight containers for months before pitching.

Panic. What you need to do... is... PANIC!!!!!

Not really. Just do it and see how it goes. I'm positive that if you take all necessary precautions you will be alright.

Is keeping it sealed mean using an airlock and bung? That's all I have for my Carboy. I'm doubling the batch so its a Carboy and a bucket. Gotta split it cuz there's 10 gallons! My first double batch in my new kettle!

Thanks all.

Yeah you should be fine I've made a starter before and taken it to my friends house for the brew day. Like the others said just keep it covered.

Make sure it's not going to slosh out or tip over in transport -- that would be a mess.
I've pitched days later without problem -- sanitation is key.

We have a brewpub here in Minnesota called Granite City that brews all the wort in one location and then transports it to the individual restaurants where they then pitch yeast and ferment on location. Beer isn't the best but I doubt it has to do with the transport.

Is keeping it sealed mean using an airlock and bung? That's all I have for my Carboy. I'm doubling the batch so its a Carboy and a bucket. Gotta split it cuz there's 10 gallons! My first double batch in my new kettle!

Thanks all.

I use one of the silicone bungs that is vented (Williams has them). They deal very well & don't spill or come loose as easily as an airlock.
They easily sanitized w/ StarSan & if you use BB's as I do there is no "suck back" of your choice of liquid from the airlock.

Thanks all, I transported and seems to be fermenting just fine! We'll see in about 7 weeks after bottled and conditioned. Next up, fermentation champer so my Barley wine can ferment through the summer!

i was listening to a Brewstrong podcast yesterday and Jamil's brewery (Heretic Brewing) had an event a while back where you could bring your own container and take home their wort along with a yeast pack.

Back