Top Crop Mix Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
2 nights ago i pitched both jars of some yeast i top cropped a few weeks ago. I had a pretty hefty layer of yeast from both US05 and Mangrove Jack West Coast 44 ale yeast. I know it's been debated before and most likely one will out perform the other.

M44 is suppose to have a dense creamy krausen that lasts awhile, and man does this thing ever! Fermentation started within a few hours and was fairly aggresive. i pitched into a speckled heifer recipe around 1.041. As this beer is pretty nuetral i'm getting just a touch of fruitiness from something. SO not sure which yeast is winning out at this point...we will see.

I did however top crop again last night from this batch and got close to an inch of solid healthy yeast into a mason jar for future use. M44/05 could be the new it thing...but i doubt it.

Without standardizing how much yeast you added to each fermenter, the head-to-head comparison on which yeast is "better" (and what is your criteria for this?) will be pretty variable. What you are observing in any given test will be an effect of the amount of yeast added, their overall viability, as well as any strain-dependent effects.

In other words, you could do this 10 times and get 10 different results. Any results you get will be pretty qualitative.

yeah sorry this was worded all wrong. Not really any form of scientific experiment. Just curious as to which characteristics show up in the final product. Which is most likely anyone's guess which yeast contributed what.

is there always a front runner or could the strains combine into one different strain? (meaning the yeast i cropped last night could be genetically diffrent than either as a seperate)

yeah sorry this was worded all wrong. Not really any form of scientific experiment. Just curious as to which characteristics show up in the final product. Which is most likely anyone's guess which yeast contributed what.

is there always a front runner or could the strains combine into one different strain? (meaning the yeast i cropped last night could be genetically diffrent than either as a seperate)

oh so they both went into the same fermenter? In that case, one strain will outcompete the other usually. The big factor in that would be if one strain was pitched at a high amount relative to the other one...

Yeah, should have explained better. I pitched two almost identical amounts of slurry into the same fermentor.

Back