Tip: Ferment a bit on the side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezzoblue

Reaction score
About 5 or so batches ago, I stumbled across this little trick I thought I'd share.

I started collecting a bit of leftover wort after transferring to my primary and fermenting in a side fermentor, which is a glass 1L milk bottle in my case. It's come in handy for so many reasons.

Whether you're extract or all grain, you've probably experienced this -- after transferring as much wort as you can into your primary, you're still left with a thin layer of what looks like clear, usable wort settled out on top of your trub. I thought, hey, why not do something with that stuff too?

And boy am I glad I did, for a lot of reasons. I can now dip into a smaller, less important fermentor whenever I'm feeling impatient to see how the beer is coming along. A few times I've decided to bottle the contents early and dry-hop right in the bottle to figure out how I wanted to dry hop the main batch. And most recently, I was able to use it as a side by side comparison after accidentally contaminating a batch of barleywine to see if the main batch had gone south. (Thankfully, it hadn't.)

My process goes something like this. After racking the usable wort, I cover my kettle and let it sit for at least another half hour to help settle out anything kicked up during the transfer. I use a (clean!) turkey baster to grab the top layer as best I can; at this point it doesn't really matter too much how much trub is picked up, but since my baster has a fairly narrow metal tip I'm able to collect more wort than trub. After filling the bottle 3/4 of the way or so, I tip in a bit of yeast, cover with plastic wrap and an elastic, place it in a shallow bowl to catch any overflowing krausen, and then watch it ferment alongside my main carboy.

Without temperature control, and because it's a smaller volume, it tends to finish out a lot quicker than the main carboy, so I can get a preview of what the final beer might taste like while keeping in mind it's only a preview, and the actual batch will be different. I've done it enough to know that if it's tasting good in the second fermentor, it's tasting great in the carboy.

I probably won't do it for every batch in the future, but any time I'm trying out a new recipe it's a great way to keep tabs on how it's coming along.

It can also be used as a forced ferment test. Since it's such a tiny volume, you can easily overpitch the yeast to the point where you are certain to fully ferment the sample. Once you know the FG of the sample, you know what FG your actual beer should hit -- if it doesn't get there, you should be checking your fermentation process (pitch rate, aeration, etc) to correct it.

Latest posts

Back