Test for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlecksBrewHouse

Reaction score
I just brewed a big beer with OG of 1.1.
When I.bottled it, the yeast had dropped out and it ended up flat in bottle. I'm going to open aloof them and put in keg to carbonate.

I guess it's only the high gravity beers that this happens to? Is there a way to test to see if yeast still floating around and not just out of commission? How much yeast should be used before bottling? I'm moving into the legging world, but this is something I need to figure out.

How long have they been in the bottles and at what temperature? A beer that big could take a few months to properly carbonate if not longer. This assumes you used the proper amount of priming sugar as well:)

If you pour the bottles into a keg you will oxidize the beer so ow really wouldn't recommend it, even purging with CO2 won't guarantee against oxidation

Been sitting between 70-74 degrees.

I don't know much about oxidization. Ill look into that.
I got word from someone else that at least 2 months. Hues ill have to be patient. Ongoing to keg some and see the difference.

Thanks

FlecksBrewHouse said:
Been sitting between 70-74 degrees.

I don't know much about oxidization. Ill look into that.
I got word from someone else that at least 2 months. Hues ill have to be patient. Ongoing to keg some and see the difference.

Thanks

Oxidation will cause the beer to have sherry like flavors or taste like wet cardboard and it does not go away, it gets worse with time. I would not recommend kegging it;)

2 months is a good guesstimate but could take longer, big big beers require big big patience when bottle carbing:)

Park the bottles somewhere and go brew something else in the meantime

Thanks. So it's been 3 weeks and no or low carbonation. Ill let them sit for another 2 months and see what happens. Hopefully they will carbonate.

My yeast was a non high gravity one. So if I let beer sit in bottles gravity not going to drop. If I open bottles and add strong high gravity yeast, it will process the rest of sugars and bring gravity down to hopefully 1.06 area.
Trial and error. That's how we learn. Asking questions only gets you so far.

FlecksBrewHouse said:
My yeast was a non high gravity one. So if I let beer sit in bottles gravity not going to drop. If I open bottles and add strong high gravity yeast, it will process the rest of sugars and bring gravity down to hopefully 1.06 area. Trial and error. That's how we learn. Asking questions only gets you so far.

If the beer was not done fermenting and you add additional yeast in the hopes of restarting fermentation in a bottle then you run the risk of exploding bottles as there is no way to vent the build up of CO2-this is a very bad idea!

I'm not adding yeast to bottles.

Beer in bottles is too sweet as is.
This is because the yeast I used wasn't able to handle the high alcohol that was produced during fermentation.
I didn't understand this until after I bottled.

I got some stronger high alcohol yeast and made a starter.
I dumped my bottled beers out into my fermentor and added the yeast.
Yes, I may end up with a beer that taste like cardboard because oxygenation, but have good hopes.

I don't think there's a yeast you could've used that couldn't have handled carbonating a 1.1 beer unless they were treated poorly during fermentation. 3 weeks is the min recommended for a normal beer, big beers can take 3 months (or even more) to carb. i hope you at least gently poured the beers into the fermentor. i'd toss in some sugar or extract or something to get them active again and get some CO2 over the beer

Back