Stuck at 1.023

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rab6614

Reaction score
I've got a imperial nut brown in the fermenter. It's been there 8 days and is stuck at 1.023. I gave it a swirl and put it in a warmer spot, 76 degrees instead of the 69 it had been and still no movement on the hydrometer. I used safale 04 instead of a starter. Normally use wyeast and starter but kinda brewed this on whim and didn't this time. Do I just need to be patient? Thanks

"Imperial nut brown" makes me think of a higher Og, and possibly some less femrentable ingredients like dark crystal malt. If it had a pretty high OG and lots of darker malts, it may very well be done, depending on the recipe (and the mash schedule if it was all-grain).

It was a brewers best extract kit. O.G. Was 1.073. For what it's worth the kit directions say final gravity should be 1.016-1.019.

This happened with me with a Black IPA with an OG of about 1.080 that stalled at 1.024. The owner of my LHBS suggest that I added some more yeast. I added one package of Nottingham. That got my FG to 1.014, which was perfect.

I guess I'll give it a couple more days and put I some more yeast if their is no change.

More yeast won't help at this point- the yeast reproduce so you've already got hundreds of billions of yeast. That isn't the issue.

You're only .004 off of the target, so I'd call this done if it doesn't go any lower. with a relatively high OG, and some dark malt extract (I assume), it's done.

Thanks yooper. I've been fermenting for a couple years but pretty new to beer. Do you recommend liquid yeast with a starter on every brew? So far it seems every time I've had any issue it's been when I use dry yeast. Is this just coincidence?

Back