Strained but still sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluewithenvy

Reaction score
Hey all, brewed my first from scratch oatmeal stout the other day. I followed the directions to strain the mash but didn't have a mesh strainer, I used a regular strainer with cheese cloth instead. There is still a small amount of sediment at the bottom. It is still normal to throw it into a secondary fermenter correct even if it didn't have said sediment?

Don't worry about it. There are brewers that strain and those that don't. I am in the just dump it all into the fermenter. It will settle out. My beers are nice and clear.

I also mostly do not secondary. This is a subject where there are brewers that do it either way. No right way, just find what works for you.

Ok guys now I have a new problem...the last three bottled I have opened have gone geyser on me....I have them cold crashed but they still spew. Any way to fix this or do I just have to suffer through this batch

Over-carbonated... which means either too much priming sugar OR not fully fermented before bottling. How long have they been in bottles and at what temperature, and are they in a contained place such as a covered box "just in case" they start to explode?

It fermented for two weeks they were in bottles for like a couple days...went to check on one and it spewed when I opened it...so I cold crashed them...its been a week since then...probably too much priming sugar

opening a warm beer that is not done fully carbing will almost always gush.

Give them some time and then put one in the fridge for a couple of days and i will bet they won't gush.

if they are geyser-ing after a couple of days, you may have put way too much priming sugar in them. i say drink em all tonight!

opening a warm beer that is not done fully carbing will almost always gush.

This^^^^^^. They are not necessarily overcarbed.

How much priming sugar did you use? If it was the right amount, you just need to let these sit at room temp a few weeks followed by a few days in the fridge before you try another one.

Note the beer in this video at around 27 seconds. It's not yet finished carbing, but it gushes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back