Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuky

Reaction score
Hello all:

This is my first post, and I'm about to embark on my first home brewing adventure. I've been lurking for a week or so already, reading up.

From my readings, it seemed like there was no real downside to making a starter, so I did. Wyeast American Ale activator. Eveything smells great, looks great... But I read that starters usually don't have vigorous fermentation. Mine, however, had very vigorous fermentation in my 1L starter flask. Airlock bubbles once every 3-5 seconds for about 6-7 hours last night. It had settled down nicely this morning, and there's a great looking cake on the bottom. I'm planning to make my wort this evening, so just wanted to check in here beforehand. (As a side note, my sanitation was spot on and by the book...)

Is this ok, or something to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

Also, any thoughts about having a starter

I always use starters.

I feel that they (along with proper oxygenation and fermentation temperatures) have made my beers better tasting. My philosophy is that if you treat your yeast right, they'll treat you right.

I have had a variety of 'ferments' in my starters - some with a foamy head; others nothing but small CO2 bubbles forming at the surface. Could depend on the room temperature? I don't use an airlock, as the yeast need oxygen at this stage. I use a foam stopper in my flask, but using sanitised tin foil that is semi-loose fitting will do. Make sure to give the starter a swirl whenever you think of it to get more air in there, unless you're using something like a stir plate. I wish that I had made starters earlier than I did - it's amazing how they have been part of a real improvement (to me, at least)

Good luck and welcome to HBT. :mug:

+1 to Nugent

I've had starters that just set there and bubble quitly all day and others that blow out the airlock. It all depends on the strain of the yeast their vitality and so on and so on. ... but with all those starters I've had great results in the fermenter.

Thanks guys!

I had never heard of a starter with no airlock -- will using one make a huge
difference? I've been agitating often (and aerated the mini wort thoroughly).

Thanks again... And I'll keep you all posted on the progress of the first brew!

The yeast need oxygen to grow. My understanding is that unless you add oxygen to your starter wort at the beginning, it won't be able to get any oxygen with an airlock on.

I heard about this on the 'Brew Stong' podcasts a number of different times. Sounded logical; have been doing it ever since.

Back