Starter needed for 3 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone...looking for thoughts on whether a starter is needed for 1.048 gravity 3 gallon all grain batch using wyeast Witbier strain? If so, same starter size as if it were 5 gallons (650 ml water to 1/2 cup DME)?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Home Brew mobile app

Depending on how fresh the yeast is, I'd probably just do a 1L starter and be done with it.

yeah, it's right on the line depending on the age of the yeast, yeastcalc.co says you want about 101 billion cells. if the pack of yeast is super fresh that's about 100 billion. if the yeast is a month old it MIGHT be as low as 75 billion but probably that's a conservative estimate. 10-20% underpitch is not a problem and maybe desirable for a wit beer.

Yeah this is the issue is it's right on the line and im leaning towards just making one...but is it most stylistically correct to under pitch Witbier because that would work out then

Yeah this is the issue is it's right on the line and im leaning towards just making one...but is it most stylistically correct to under pitch Witbier because that would work out then

It's been a while since I read brewing with wheat. I know he mentions this but I can't recall right now if it's hefe or wit. If you have the gumption, it's not going to hurt to make a starter either.

Well yeast showed up front NB today and it's 13 days old so I'm going to pitch without a starter. Ill keep y his thread posted how ut turns out

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back