The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stalled fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have the same thing going on right now. been at 1.024 for several days now. stirred...heated up...nada. Only wine yeast available to me unless I drive an hour each way sooooooo. gonna go to secondary, let it clear and bottle it as is.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What yeast should I pitch. Should I go with the same strain (WLP005) or dry yeast.
Should I aerate before pitching? Should I try to add some nutrient before pitching, or should I repitch with some yeast nutrient?
I hav enever had this issue before, so I really don't know what to do.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I re-pitched yeast yesterday at about 4 pm. I decided to go with S-04. It's been over 24 hours, and still no real activity, gravity may have dropped a little. I expected fermentation to kick in from the dry yeast by now ... although I know it is still a bit early.

is it possible that fermentation could be done at 1.030? I mashed pretty high, at 158. Is it possible that I got enough unfermentable sugars in there to leave the gravity so high??

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
z28tt
Recipes 

I'm in the same boat. Made an extract irish clone batch 20 days ago, and the initial fermentation kicked off fine. I used about 45 sec of 02 through an airstone, but didn't shake (this was my first time using an 02 setup). Fermentation was going strong the next morning before work... Never got an OG due to my wife cleaning out the brew pot before I could get to it. A week later, the SG was 1.032 according to the refractometer. I moved it from the 62 deg basement to my office which is a bit warmer, and shook it once a day for the next few days. A week after that, SG is still 1.032, and still is now.

For re-pitching yeast - do I just make another starter (I used dry yeast rehydrated), and pour in, or should I step it up w/ sterile wort a few times? Should I re-oxygenate as well? I can't RDWHAHB since it's all been drank except for the gluten free batch... Thanks!

Quick Reply