Stalled at 1020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcelher

Reaction score
I remember it was 1055 I believe to start. And the kit says that it should be at 1012 or less. It's 4 weeks upcoming Sunday. Last Sunday I trouble shoot at swirling it and bubbles form in the airlock but very small. Should I add yeast? It was a dry yeadt from dunkelweizen from brewers best. Thought?? Seems like 1020 is a magic number my roommate had the heat from 64-68 dependent on the time. I was thinking this might do it.

Yep, what cured my 1.020 blues was gassing my wort with an Oxygen stone just after pitching my yeast, before I put the lid on the fermenter. That might work for you, it might be something else. Search for it on HBT, there is already a lot of discussion on the 1.020 blues...

Sometimes extract beers stop at 1.020. It's the ol' 1.020 curse. It'll be a fine beer, even if it did finish a little high. The slightly lower ABV means you can have an extra one and not be hammered.:rockin:

Are you measuring your gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer? You should be able to wring a few more points out of that beer. Warm it up and swirl some yeast back into suspension.

Hydrometer. At about 65. Might just rack it. At 4% abv.

Starting a poll Rack vs warming up vs adding yeast

Have you degassed the sample.
Leave your test sample sit on the bench for an hour and see if the reading drops.

I'm currently enjoying a 1.019 English-style bitter (well, not RIGHT now - it's 7:30 am) and it's just fine, even if a little underattenuated. Darn 1968 yeast. Yours will be just fine too. Cheers!

jmcelher said:
Starting a poll Rack vs warming up vs adding yeast

1) crank up the heat if you can

2) Rack it

3)anything under the sun except adding more yeast. OG of 1.055ish I think you said? If its edible, it's already been eaten.

Latest posts

Back