Should I be conerned about this high ferm temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpd966

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed an DME wheat on Sunday using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat yeast. Made a healthy starter and pitched at 70*.

My problem is this: I had to place the carboy on my freezer for space reasons. I was looking to ferment on the high end of the scale. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F. The room holds about 70*, maybe a bit higher. What I didn't take into account was the top of the freezer heating up from running. Long story longer, when I checked the temp in the AM it was a whopping 85*! I immediately moved it to a better spot where it's holding between 70-72*. It was on the freezer for about 14hrs.

Fermentation is going fine. Started gurgling within 2 hours of pitching, died down on Tuesday or Wednesday. What should I expect from my temperature slip up? Do I need to let it sit in the primary longer to let the yeast clean up after any mess they may have made? Oh, one last thing, my game plan is two condition this in the secondary on 3#'s of peaches. Thanks...sorry so long.

If the temp was only high during the lag phase (3-15 hourse) then you should be fine. If it stayed high into the exponential growth phase then you start having to worry about having some issues. If the latter is the case I would taste it to see if there are any significant flaws before putting the time and money into adding fruit.

I don't have any experience with doing something like that but from what I've read you might have diacetyl issues. If you leave it in primary for 2 - 3 weeks you should be fine.

Fusel alcohols, excessive esters (banana beer) and diacetyl are all potential problems. Nothing to do now but ride it out and see how it goes. Luckily, wheats love extra esters as long as it's not banana beer.

Excessive bannana esters might be expected at higher fermentation temps. There's nothing you can do about it now. All you can do is learn & go with the flow. Learn from the experience and make corrections next time. RDWHAHB

Well, I racked this bad boy to my secondary tonight. All is good! Definitely some banana in it but it tasted great. I was very happy with it. Put her on 3#'s of peaches as planned. Thanks guys.

Back