Secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
I'm preparing to brew a new batch from a recipe that I got and it says that you're supposed to do primary fermentation for a week, followed by 2 weeks of secondary, and 2 weeks in bottles. My problem is that I don't have a second carboy to transfer it to, so I was wondering if I could just leave the beer in the one carboy for 3 weeks to a month since I'm in no hurry and I'm not adding anything extra in between primary and secondary then transfer it to bottles. I'm new at brewing and any any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Even if I had a secondary vessel I would keep the beer in the single primary vessel for 3-4 weeks. You're better than okay to do what you're talking about doing.

The term "secondary fermenter" is a misnomer. And those instructions are bad, bad, bad. You should always leave your beer in the primary until fermentation is complete. That can sometimes happen in 3 days, sometime 2 weeks, sometimes longer. The beer benefits from remaining on the yeast for a little while after you've reached your final gravity. If you choose to use the very optional and increasingly unpopular step of transferring to a secondary vessel, that vessel just acts as a place to hold the beer while it clears. It will clear just fine in the primary, but sometimes you have limited primary vessels and want to open them up to make another batch of beer, so a secondary might make sense for you in such a case.

If you leave your beer in the primary fermentor for too long of a period, your yeast will auto lysis. In other words they will break apart and leave you beer with the off flavor of under cooked bread.
Your best bet if you don't have a secondary fermentor is to just get it into your bottling bucket and into bottles.
Don't leave your beer on dead and dying yeast. After fermentation is complete, by serial hydrometer readings, move it off the old yeast and into another vessel be it bottles, kegs, or better yet, a secondary fermenter.
There are good reasons to let it rest in a secondary, since the healthy yeast left in suspension still have work to do, even after all the active fermentation is complete.

If you leave your beer in the primary fermentor for too long of a period, your yeast will auto lysis. In other words they will break apart and leave you beer with the off flavor of under cooked bread.
Your best bet if you don't have a secondary fermentor is to just get it into your bottling bucket and into bottles.
Don't leave your beer on dead and dying yeast. After fermentation is complete, by serial hydrometer readings, move it off the old yeast and into another vessel be it bottles, kegs, or better yet, a secondary fermenter.
There are good reasons to let it rest in a secondary, since the healthy yeast left in suspension still have work to do, even after all the active fermentation is complete.

Did you come to HBT from a 1970s time machine?

There is no urgent need to get your beer off the yeast. They are not experiencing a yeast holocaust after fermenting your beer...they are taking a nap.

I don't know who to believe. One of you said not to transfer and the other one said to transfer haha.

beer garden is winding you up!

Leave it be, in primary, till it's finished , stable SG, and clear, then bottle it !

I don't know who to believe. One of you said not to transfer and the other one said to transfer haha.

The idea that yeast will quickly die and cause terrible off flavors is an outdated one. An idea that had been smashed to bits here on hbt and an idea that has been contradicted by many non secondaried contest winning bears at all levels of homebrew competition. There is no danger in leaving you beer on the yeast for months. None. Rest easy.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Home Brew mobile app

I used to secondary but I was unable to transfer to secondary, so it stayed on the yeast for 3 weeks. It was better beer and that was the start of the new Brewery Rule #24 : Secondary is EXTRA work with Secondary Results.

We have not used a secondary in years.

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question, but here it goes:
I've made an Imperial Stout (extract plus grains) with an OG of 1100, it fermented for 9 days on the primary and I transferred to a secondary (this saturday).
The beer was still bubbling, like 1 every 4 minutes, and the FG was still 1038, and now I don't see any activity in the secondary. I peeked through the airlock and there is almost no yeast suspension (there is not a "whole" foam, just little dots).
I've realized I did a terrible mistake, but would you reccomend me to re-inoculate more yeast? What should I do? The room temperature is the same as during the primary fermentation (about 21 C) but the fermenter says 19 C.. The FG is still 1038 (measured today)

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question, but here it goes:
I've made an Imperial Stout (extract plus grains) with an OG of 1100, it fermented for 9 days on the primary and I transferred to a secondary (this saturday).
The beer was still bubbling, like 1 every 4 minutes, and the FG was still 1038, and now I don't see any activity in the secondary. I peeked through the airlock and there is almost no yeast suspension (there is not a "whole" foam, just little dots).
I've realized I did a terrible mistake, but would you reccomend me to re-inoculate more yeast? What should I do? The room temperature is the same as during the primary fermentation (about 21 C) but the fermenter says 19 C.. The FG is still 1038 (measured today)

This is a completely different question and you should just go ahead and start a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you come to HBT from a 1970s time machine?

There is no urgent need to get your beer off the yeast. They are not experiencing a yeast holocaust after fermenting your beer...they are taking a nap.

Please keep the insults and personal remarks out of this. Thanks.

Many people have different thoughts and experiences and those are all valid, even if someone doesn't agree.

I'm not in the "month in primary" camp at all, and I am a pretty decent brewer.

I'm also not a big "secondary" fan either.

I tend to keep most beers in the fermenter for at least 3 days after fermentation ends, and until the beer starts to clear (or is perfectly clear), and that is often 10-14 days. That's not a mantra, that's not a "you must do this or your beer will suck" piece of advice- it's my experience via trial and error and shows my preference for less yeast character in the final beer.

The reason there are several schools of thought on this is because we all have preferences. Some people prefer the flavor of a beer that spent 3-4 weeks in primary, and that's great for them. Some, like me, prefer the flavor of a beer that has been removed from the yeast cake a few days after fermentation finishes. That's also fine.

For new brewers- try it both ways and see which YOU prefer.

As long as fermentation is finished for at least 3 days, and the beer is starting to clear, it's ok to move it either to a carboy or to bottles.

Many people have different thoughts and experiences and those are all valid, even if someone doesn't agree.

I tend to keep most beers in the fermenter for at least 3 days after fermentation ends, and until the beer starts to clear (or is perfectly clear), and that is often 10-14 days. That's not a mantra, that's not a "you must do this or your beer will suck" piece of advice- it's my experience via trial and error and shows my preference for less yeast character in the final beer.

The reason there are several schools of thought on this is because we all have preferences. Some people prefer the flavor of a beer that spent 3-4 weeks in primary, and that's great for them. Some, like me, prefer the flavor of a beer that has been removed from the yeast cake a few days after fermentation finishes. That's also fine.

As long as fermentation is finished for at least 3 days, and the beer is starting to clear, it's ok to move it either to a carboy or to bottles.

Sorry, Yooper. I'll mind my manners.

This same poster was advising people to make starters at 1.080 so that they would have enough yeast to pitch because if they made a starter at 1.040 they'd be underpitching and not properly preparing their yeast for their 1.080 batch of beer.

I agree, one of the great things about brewing is that there are many avenues one can take to make great beer. There is always another aspect one can focus on and improve upon in their process.

But, what is pretty much undeniable is that leaving the beer on the yeast for a month or even two does not ruin the beer. You may prefer beer that has been removed sooner, but the idea that autolysis starts after just a couple weeks is provably false. New brewers should not fear the impending doom of autolysis if they don't hurry and transfer to a secondary.

+1! I agree 100% with Yooper on the issue. I haven't been brewing very long but I know from my experience, and other homebrewer's stuff I've tried, that I prefer a beer that is taken off the cake and aged in bottles.

Currently, I only secondary when I am heavily dry hopping or adding fruit/oak. It's not necessary, but I like to open up my primary so I can start another batch while the current one is in the secondary. If I don't have any additions such as the ones mentioned above I will stick to the "steady FG and bottle" method.

Sorry, Yooper. I'll mind my manners.

This same poster was advising people to make starters at 1.080 so that they would have enough yeast to pitch because if they made a starter at 1.040 they'd be underpitching and not properly preparing their yeast for their 1.080 batch of beer.

I agree, one of the great things about brewing is that there are many avenues one can take to make great beer. There is always another aspect one can focus on and improve upon in their process.

But, what is pretty much undeniable is that leaving the beer on the yeast for a month or even two does not ruin the beer. You may prefer beer that has been removed sooner, but the idea that autolysis starts after just a couple weeks is provably false. New brewers should not fear the impending doom of autolysis if they don't hurry and transfer to a secondary.

Absolutely- we need to correct misinformation in order to keep this forum a useful resource and I think it's important to point out things that are flat out wrong. I appreciate all of the input from other experienced brewers. We just have to do it in a manner that is not insulting or derogatory of course.

The issue isn't really whether autolysis exists or not, but to what degree in different settings. Healthy yeast in a five gallon batch like most home brewers do don't start dying like they do in the pressure at the bottom of a giant conical. From what I've heard (I'm not a pro brewer), autolysis is a big concern for commercial breweries, but not so much for homebrewers for this reason. Also from what I've heard (I'm not old enough to remember), homebrewer's yeast was of much worse quality in the not so distant past, so that was also a concern for autolysis.

I do not know what the argument is. I have done both but have not notice a difference. I use secondary only if I need to dry hop. Otherwise I leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. I usually dry hop for a short time like a week and still leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks before dry hopping. I understand the preferences but must agree that secondary is falling out of favor. Read Palmer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes superstorm, that sounds like a fine plan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back