Saison yeast mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabeemech1970

Reaction score
Just brewed a Saison over the weekend. It's my second brew. This time I used a combination of yeast and I need some experienced opinions. So here goes. I did a all grain mash which I got a 1.042 going into the fermenter. Then I added a white labs Belgian Saison yeast and a wyeast smack pack of wiefhenzien. So what does the opinions think? Also I plan to bottle condition what carbonation level should I try for, right beersmith says 2.3.

I'd go for more like 3.0 vol, last one I did was 3.5 and was nice, next will be 3 as I might have been pushing the bottle limits at 3.5

Why did you use two yeasts? I always thought it wasn't a smart idea to mix yeasts because they will try to overpower each other and there wouldn't really be any benefit.

CidahMastah said:
Why did you use two yeasts? I always thought it wasn't a smart idea to mix yeasts because they will try to overpower each other and there wouldn't really be any benefit.

The whole killer yeast rumor IS NOT TRUE. I listened to a podcast and Chris White says only like 2% types of yeast will actually attack each other.

I believe this may work out well for you. But don't quote me as I have never tried it.

Good luck and please post your results....

The whole killer yeast rumor IS NOT TRUE. I listened to a podcast and Chris White says only like 2% types of yeast will actually attack each other.

I believe this may work out well for you. But don't quote me as I have never tried it.

Good luck and please post your results....

I didn't mean that they necessarily "killed" each other. Rather that one yeast will sort of take over and produce a more dominant effect than another.

Just got done with transferring to secondary fermenter. Took a SG and it was 1.012 after 4 days. The OG started at 1.042 on saturday, tasted it and it was good. Still needs to clarify a lot more.

How long should I keep it in the secondary? I was planning on 10 days. Then a 30 day bottle age. Should I add another Saison yeast since I transferred too early? What can I do about the cloudiness (use isinglass maybe?)

Should I use isinglass to help get rid of the cloudiness

just give it time, it hasn't even been a week.

Cidah: eventually one can dominant if you give them a few generations, but in the first batch it certainly adds complexity.

seabeemech1970 said:
I'm thinking of adding some corn sugar to my secondary ferment. Any opinions?

Why? That will restart the fermentation. The purpose of a secondary it to help clear/age the beer.

just give it time, it hasn't even been a week.

Cidah: eventually one can dominant if you give them a few generations, but in the first batch it certainly adds complexity.

thanks for the info!

Patience! Primary for a week at absolute minimum and more like 2 or 3, secondary for a week to clear if you really want.

You seem far too eager to mess around with it. If you keep doing things you shouldn't you'll ruin it needlessly.

+1

In general, I don't touch a brew until it hits the 3 week mark in the primary fermenter.

Ok update on my Saison. It's been in secondary for 3 weeks. Just found out that I have to go to Afghanistan next week. So I'm probably going to bottle this weekend. Now my store options are going to be stored in my closet in bottles at roughly 68 degrees for the next 5 to 6 months or to bottle and let a buddy store them refrigerated til I get back. Any suggestions?

seabeemech1970 said:
Just got done with transferring to secondary fermenter. Took a SG and it was 1.012 after 4 days. The OG started at 1.042 on saturday, tasted it and it was good. Still needs to clarify a lot more.

Noooooo! Let a saison sit for weeks in the primary. 1.012 = too sweet for style. Don't panic and think your beer is ruined as I'm sure it will taste fine; however, a true to style saison is not what you'll have.

[email protected]

Option 2 find a local home brewer. I'd bet it wouldn't be hard to meet one willing to care for your batch and have it ready at your return. Thanks for your service

Ok here are my options
1) go ahead and bottle and leave it til I get back in 5 to 6 months.
2) leave it in my secondary for that long.
3) transfer to a third ferment for that long
4) have my wife bottle it in another month
If anyone has any other options let me know

I liked the idea of finding a local homebrewer to take care of it for you. If you lived near here I'd volunteer. I'd be glad to lend a hand to somebody willing to go overseas for our safety!

[email protected]

So here's a update on my Saison. I just got back from Afghanistan and its still not been bottled. So in the next couple days Im going to bottle it. I see no signs of infection thank god. I think that I might have to pitch some yeast in it. How much does everyone think I should do? It's been in the secondary for 4 months. Any opinions?

ForumRunner_20120102_071601.jpg

I've gone ahead and added a pic of the Saison

You should be fine to bottle now. If you plan to add yeast at bottling, a 1/4 packet of S-05 or Notty would be sufficient. You can add the yeast to the bottles (just a few grains to each) or add the yeast to the bottling bucket and gently stir it into the beer. Just make sure your sanitation is good.

Glad to hear you made it back safe. Cheers.

With saison yeasts give a good long secondary!! I have blown bottles in three different batches by being impatient. Honestly 6-8weeks before bottling. Also by using the hefeweisen yeast don't expect the beer to clear.

JacobS said:
With saison yeasts give a good long secondary!! I have blown bottles in three different batches by being impatient. Honestly 6-8weeks before bottling. Also by using the hefeweisen yeast don't expect the beer to clear.

So I guess 4 months in the secondary is long enough.

Ha, don't think he read the thread.

If you want to pitch yeast, you can use most dry yeasts. Champagne yeast is usually best; it is more tolerant of the alcohol in there and will only ferment simple sugar so won't ferment anything the saison yeast couldn't.

Well i'm going to bottle tonite the Saison. Picked up a packet of Notty and i'm just going to pitch it in the bottling bucket. i'm hoping that its going to be good considering how long it sat in the secondary (4 months).
More to follow.........

Bottling: Belgian Saison
Brewing This weekend: Honeysuckle Sweet Stout
Next Week: Sourwood Honey Mead
Week After: Overmountain American Pale Ale

Well bottled my Saison Last nite the flavors were great. According to the numbers it came out to a 6.7% abv. The grains of paradise were a great addition. Bottled.at around 2.8 vols. Can't wait for it to condition and try it then. Since it sat so long in secondary only came.out.with 40 12 oz bottles.

Latest posts

Back