Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Rehydrating yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 424

I haven't rehydrated dry yeast since '96... have used SO4, S23 and Nottingham commercially without rehydration and saw zero difference in the finished product. I don't remember where the thread was, but someone had a vid up where they did a side-by-side comparison of dry yeast; rehydrated vs dry, and aerated vs non aerated. The progress of the fermentation was slightly different, but in the end they all ended up at the same place.

I put my yeast in the ferm prior to knockout... whether that means dumping int into a unitank in a brewery, or in the bottom of a bucket, and running the wort in after. My beers have an average lag time of about 6 hours from knockout to signs of active ferment. Works just fine for me... good starts, clean beer and one less possible source of infection.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just dumped a 05 onto my wort. First time ever but lately I have tasted Damn good beer made with 05 and just dumping on wort.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
HawkATP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't rehydrate, waste of time. I used to rehydrate my safale 05, but stopped many brews ago, just go to their website for instructions on pitching dry.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Mase
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dry pitching or rehydrating, either way you are going to make beer. Same goes with temp controls during fermentation or the pH balance of your water. IMO the more you do to utilize the optimal conditions for your brew, the better it will be.

I'd reccomend rehydrating. It only takes several minutes and it's and easy and efficient way of optimizing the conditions for your batch.

"I'm gaining weight the right way: I'm drinking beer," Johnny Damon

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post

I'd reccomend rehydrating. It only takes several minutes and it's and easy and efficient way of optimizing the conditions for your batch.
I've done it both ways, at the home scale and on commercial systems from 15-50bbl... the end product was the same. Why fool with it, adding an extra step that includes an (albeit small) increased risk of contamination? All that matters is what hits the glass.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
Mase
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Whatever works for you, if you have success with it either way that's awesome. I've just tried it both ways and noticed a difference. Just my 2 pennies.

"I'm gaining weight the right way: I'm drinking beer," Johnny Damon

Bantha Likes This 

Quick Reply