Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Red Star Champagne Yeast Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
Scoggin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
for the ride home from the store bring a cooler with a few ice packs. that should keep it cool enough.

a saison yeast is what you want: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststr...tail.cfm?ID=60, same as WLP565. if you can, keep it under 80 for the first few days (search for "swamp cooler") then let it float up to ambient temp. this strain needs to get over 90*F, eventually, to finish up. just don't start out at 90 if you can help it.
a saison barleywine would certainly be interesting..

but saisons are the way to go for higher temps. defiantly something to think about for future summer batches. try some commercial versions. I'd recommend La Merle by north coast. If you cant find that, Saison Dupont, Ommegang Hennepin, and Allagash's saison all are highly regarded as great saisons.

Also do some research about swamp coolers. basically a bucket full of water and ice that you place your fermenter in. this way you can rotate out frozen water bottles to keep the ambient temps in-check. really helps regulate and manage temperature during hot summer days. and the added volume of water helps keep the temperature more steady (harder for the ambient temps change the beer temp).

also i don't know a lot about champagne yeast. but time will tell. if all else fails, and you end with an unusually high FG. you can pitch a starter of ale yeast at high krausen to try to bring down the FG. maybe some added sugar? I'd like to hear some more experienced brewers chime in on the subject.

Paging all brewers! help us out here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could see if your lhbs has some amylase enzyme, that will break the long chain sugars down so the yeast will be able to go to work.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yep, kinda bass ackwards. The champagne yeast may get the alcohol high enough the ale yeast won't thrive. High gravity ale yeast for sure.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

You definitely need to pitch something that can consume malt sugars; champagne yeast (or any wine yeast I know of) won't do the trick.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
grssmnperez
Recipes 

It seems to be fermenting pretty well.

image-2627859597.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2627859597.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	64725

image-2288859723.jpg

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez
Sorry for the double pic.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by grssmnperez View Post
yup, the champagne is munching away on the simple sugars. i suspect that once it's done, you'll still have a brew with a gravity of ~1.040. i deally you should make a big starter of WLP099 (white lab's high-gravity ale yeast) and throw that in.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I had a barleywine go down from 1.100 to 1.016 using S-04. Super high gravity yeast is not needed if you treat your normal ale yest correctly.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I had a barleywine go down from 1.100 to 1.016 using S-04. Super high gravity yeast is not needed if you treat your normal ale yest correctly.
right, but that S-04 started in a 0% alcohol environment and slowly adapted to the rising alcohol levels it was creating. in this case the champagne yeast will already have created some amount of alcohol (4%? 6%?), that is a shocking environment to pitch some poor unsuspecting yeast into. taking yeast that has just woken up and throwing it into an alcoholic solution does not constitute "treating your normal ale yest correctly".

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
grssmnperez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
right, but that S-04 started in a 0% alcohol environment and slowly adapted to the rising alcohol levels it was creating. in this case the champagne yeast will already have created some amount of alcohol (4%? 6%?), that is a shocking environment to pitch some poor unsuspecting yeast into. taking yeast that has just woken up and throwing it into an alcoholic solution does not constitute "treating your normal ale yest correctly".
So pretty much all i can do is put in a yeast that is for high abv like super HG yeast or distiller and some beano tablets to convert the inedible sugars?

Quick Reply