Ready to Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrT2u

Reaction score
I have an Amber Ale with OG 1.040. It has been in primary for 10 days. I transferred to secondary and measures 1.010. Can I bottle now? Seems like it moved a little fast.

Wait 3 days and re-check. If it hasn't changed gravity you COULD bottle without risking bottle bombs. But it might clean up the byproducts a little faster in secondary vs bottles if you wait another week or two.

It would benefit some to remain in the secondary for another week. At 1.010, your beer is most likely finished fermenting. I got away from racking to a secondary and only use a primary for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Thanks for the advice. The primary vs secondary debate has boggled me. I still do not have a preference, other than ease.

If the beer is at FG, tastes good and smells fine and is clear there is no need to wait. Honestly, a properly fermented beer should be done fermenting within 10 days. I find that usually by day 14 my beers are ready to package with no issues.

I wait the 3 weeks in primary most of the time . At least use 2 weeks . mostly because it allows the trub to settle down good . works better that way if I do not use secondary which I only use to dry hop. then 1 month in the bottle makes great tasting beer .

Latest posts

Back