Re-using yeast in my fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3r3my

Reaction score
I tried search and couldn't find an answer.

I have a cream fermenting now on us-05, I want to try a different cream that takes that same yeast. Can I pull the current batch off that yeast and dump the next one on top of it? Do I have to do anything to it before using it again? Until now I have just cleaned the bucket and moved on.

Thanks!

Experts recommend rinsing the yeast before using it again. Rinsing the yeast removes most of the dead cells, proteins, hop material etc from the healthy viable yeast the you want. Just search for "yeast washing illustrated" for a great guide on how to do this.

If you want to skip the washing step -- which many of us do when we're brewing back-to-back recipes of beer -- you're going to rack the old batch off into your bottling bucket or secondary fermentor and pour out 1/2-2/3 of the yeast cake. If you dump the new batch on the entire existing yeast cake you'll probably be "overpitching," that is, adding too much yeast to the new batch. Pour out about half of it and pitch the next batch on top of you're going to skip the washing step. I recommend getting into the washing regimen. It saves a lot of money in a very short amount of time.

Back