New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Re-pitching harvested nottingham ale yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
halbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Re-pitching harvested nottingham ale yeast?

About ten days ago, i bottled a milk stout recipe and washed and harvested two mason jars of the nottingham ale yeast used in the recipe. I now want to brew a batch of edwort's haus pale and the question arises: Can i make a starter and pitch the yeast i harvested from the stout into the haus without any problems? I have not even the faintest clue how many cells of yeast i could have harvested in those jars, but i damn sure want to use them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Double_D

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 76

You sure can. Usually the main concern is sanitation or your washing process. I started getting unusual characteristics (slow fermentation, inconsistent FG) after a couple generations but it always worked really well otherwise.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
halbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Awesome. I was pretty anal about sanitizing all the parts to touch the yeast during the whole washing process, and when i went to the mason jars i overfilled to avoid headspace.
Well, i guess i better get that haus pale ale brewing and when it comes time for the yeast do their thing just let 'er rip!

Quick Reply