Racking to 2nd early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Im having a problem that seems to be the opposite of other beginner brewers. Ive made three dubbels now and they all ferment too much and get dry. Next time, can i start doing gravity readings after 5-6 days already and when its reaching around 1012-1011ish Ill rack it to secondary? Fermentation will continue in secondary but will it be less? Or is the yeast sediments at the bottom not active and the yeast thats "floats in the beer" the only yeast that makes it ferment? My dubbels go from 1070+ to around 1006...

Im having a problem that seems to be the opposite of other beginner brewers. Ive made three dubbels now and they all ferment too much and get dry. Next time, can i start doing gravity readings after 5-6 days already and when its reaching around 1012-1011ish Ill rack it to secondary? Fermentation will continue in secondary but will it be less? Or is the yeast sediments at the bottom not active and the yeast thats "floats in the beer" the only yeast that makes it ferment? My dubbels go from 1070+ to around 1006...

Racking won't stall the beer. Good thing, otherwise, your bottles would blow up if you bottle before it's finished!

If your beers are finishing too dry, it's likely due to ingredients and mash temperature. If you want the beer to finish with a higher FG, it needs to be mashed at a higher temperature and perhaps a few different (less fermentable) ingredients.

You would have to kill the yeast to stop fermentation. If you keg that may not be a problem. Killing the yeast though would leave fermentables in the beer. The beer would be sweet.
If you bottle there would be no yeast for carbonation.

The cause would be in your recipe. Are there pounds of 100% fermentable sugars in the recipe? Sugar added to boost the ABV would give you the low FG and dry the beer out.

Racking won't stall the beer. Good thing, otherwise, your bottles would blow up if you bottle before it's finished!

If your beers are finishing too dry, it's likely due to ingredients and mash temperature. If you want the beer to finish with a higher FG, it needs to be mashed at a higher temperature and perhaps a few different (less fermentable) ingredients.

I have the opposite prob with bottling aswell. In adding some safale yeast when bottling and still dont get as much carbonation as i would like.

Yeah i should probably raise my mashtemp from 65C to 67C or something next time or just start of with an og of 1080?

I basically use the pious new world westvleteren clone recipe from this forum bit scale it down.

Should i increase the og or use a higher mash temp for my next attempt?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What was your actual recipe and OG/FG? You say you scaled it down, it sounds like to under 1.080, did you keep the amount of sugar the same? That is supposed to be 1.090 beer and over 10% ABV, if you significantly decreased the starting OG with the same amount of sugar I can see how it could come out thin.

What was your actual recipe and OG/FG? You say you scaled it down, it sounds like to under 1.080, did you keep the amount of sugar the same? That is supposed to be 1.090 beer and over 10% ABV, if you significantly decreased the starting OG with the same amount of sugar I can see how it could come out thin.

i scaled everything down the same keeping the % of the fermentables. But i didnt scale down the yeast. This last time i used harvested yeast so i have no idea the amount... I racked to secondary today, after 6 days it had gone from 1071 to 1008...

i scaled everything down the same keeping the % of the fermentables. But i didnt scale down the yeast. This last time i used harvested yeast so i have no idea the amount... I racked to secondary today, after 6 days it had gone from 1071 to 1008...

I think you are overpitching your yeast if you scaled the recipe down and are still pitching the same amount for a bigger beer.

I think you are overpitching your yeast if you scaled the recipe down and are still pitching the same amount for a bigger beer.

I think youre right, i think im always overpitching... have to get better at guessing how much yeast i have.

What is the recipe and mash temp?[/

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.71 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.53 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.77 %
0.33 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
0.19 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 24.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (30 min)Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 item Servomyces (10 min)
1.50 lb Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (80.0 SRM) Sugar 8.30 %
0.75 lb Amber Belgian Candi Syrup (40.0 SRM) Sugar 4.43 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 15.77 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 24.00 qt of water at 159.3 F 150.0
Chill the wort down to 65f, pitch and let it self rise to about 82-83f and try to hold it there...

I do this recipe but BIAB and scaled it down to OG 1071 and 16 liters.
I used harvested st bernardus yeast.

I'd try increasing your mash temp and decreasing the candi sugar, maybe bumping the special B a bit to get similar flavor with less fermentability.

I'd try increasing your mash temp and decreasing the candi sugar, maybe bumping the special B a bit to get similar flavor with less fermentability.

Many of the belgian bruins/dubbels/quads has distinct candisugar flavor/smell.. hos is this done? I mean, isnt the yeast eating up that sugar right away and wouldnt more candisyrup just dry out the beer? My next dubbel will be mashed at higher temp so it wont be as fermentable, maybe 67C instead of 65C.

A good thing with early second fermentation was that alot of yeast was in suspension so I racked it to a 3rd fermenter and harvested the yeast from the secondary, no washing, just white yeast and no trub what so ever. got a half jar out of it :)

Back