Preservatives in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
So, not sure if this is the right topic, but mods are welcome to move the thread as need be.

Anyway, I got several gallon jugs of cider from Safeway to try and make some hard cider. I put a packet of Safale-05 in, didn't getting much fermentation. Thought due to the higher gravity f the juice, maybe I needed to pitch more, so I put in a second packet. Still nothing. Tried a packet of wine yeast. Still nothing....

Looking at the jug, the reason I bought it was that it said "100% Pure Juice". But then reading the ingredients label, it says there is "Less than 1/10th of 1%Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate to preserve flavor." Wold this be why it is not fermenting and is there any way to get around it?

S.o.a.b.... I'd say that stupid "100% Pure Juice" label is false advertising, since I bought 10 gallons because of it... And wasted my yeast.

Back