Phat Tyre from NB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
For those of you that made the Phat Tyre clone from Norther Brewer, I'm wondering if you went by the directions and did the secondary fermentation?

This is the extract kit w/specialty grains.

In the instructions it talks about active fermentation ending in a week or two and to do the hydrometer reading and then do the secondary 2 to 4 weeks.

I haven't seen/heard any bubbles in probably a week or so, so I'm pretty sure that it's bottomed out (I know I need to take a sample and check with the hydrometer)

So assuming my reading from the hydrometer is in line, would you all recommend the secondary? Or maybe just leave it in the primary for another week?

It's been in the primary for 2 full weeks!

I know there's been a lot of debate about this subject lately, but thought maybe some of you could chime in about your Phat Tyre clone and let me know what you did and how it turned out...

And... this will be kegged and forced conditioned.

Thanks for any input!

Never used that one, but the AG recipe I use needs a lot of time to age.

Notes from the Brewmaster. :

Bouckaert shies away from handing out recipes, but he agreed to offer a few clues and tips for homebrewers.
When trying to emulate Fat Tire Amber Ale, Bouckaert advises that you pay particular attention to the malt bill and the aging process. "We have a malt character that asks for a lot of light-colored malts," he says. "Specialty, Munich and light caramel malts comprise up to 30 percent. For the signature toasted biscuit flavor of this brown-amber beer, add from 5 to 10 percent of malts with a nutty character." For hops, he recommends shooting for 16 IBUs with a subtle late addition of aroma or dry hops. "Don't use Cascade or other overpowering hops," Bouckaert adds.
As for yeast, Bouckaert suggests using a strain low in esters and other flavor components, like American pale ale yeast (Wyeast 1056 or BrewTek CL-10). Fermentation should take place at the low end of the temperature range. The beer should look clear, have low carbonation and give off a malty, fruity aroma with hints of bread crust. It should leave a toasted flavor on the palate and a subtle hop component for balance. Lay the beer down for at least a few months to mellow and mature for best results.

Back