Need some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed an IPA and not sure what is going on in my secondary. I have never seen yeast colonizers on the side walls the pictures are about 3 weeks in my secondary day after two weeks in the primary at first the side walls were several vertical lines and bow it has spread. I don't think it is an infection. Because the top of the beer is pretty clear besides some yeast floats. I will say that an issue was that the beer got oxygenated when racking to my secondary. I did not realize it until three quarters of the beer was already transferred but my racking cane had a stress fracture at the bend the was pulling air in and really putting tons of bubbles in the beer. After 5 weeks of fermenting I am still getting a lot of of active fermentation. As my airlock is still bubbling pretty good. Any ideas from everyone out there? Is this batch ruined? Also if I bottle it do you think I would get bottle bombs with this?

1412992840112.jpg

1412992853411.jpg

1412992868453.jpg

1412992884824.jpg

Also I will say this was probably the most thorough cleaning and sanitizing job I had ever done so I'm at a loss

I'm not worried by how it looks as much by all that headspace in a secondary. Bubbling is not necessarily an indication of fermentation, it could be off gassing from temp change. If you're worried about bombs you should check gravities a few days apart. At 5 wks I'd already be drinking an IPA, though.

The large amount of head space in the carboy can be a problem for potential oxidation, but you have fermentation or off gassing of CO2, that could prevent oxidation.
The CO2 production or off gassing that is going on could also scrub the air from the beer that was introduced with the faulty siphon.

What was the SG when you racked to the secondary? What is the SG now? I would bottle or keg this one as soon as FG is reached and CO2 is minimal in the hydrometer samples.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have checked gravity readings in a while now on any of my batches. I never really have any issues with off flavors, infections or bottle bombs. I just have never seen the yeast do this on the sides before. The head space in the carboy was replaced with co2 at racking. I busted my 5 gallon carboy so I have to use this 6.5 gallon one. I'm going to bottle it up later today as I finally got some time off of work. That is why it has been in the secondary so long.

I had this happen once and the beer turned out fine. My explanation is that this kind of thing just happens sometimes.

Back