Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > My WLP001 tastes like a Belgian. What happened?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
janzik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
If you harvested this yeast from an IPA it was likely stressed so that may have played a part (did you make a starter with it or just pitch?). Also, if you pitched at 78* F then you must have aerated at 78* F or higher and you probably didn't get as much O2 in solution as needed, something yeast (esp stressed yeast) won't like.

It seems the more I brew the more I realize that in order to make my best beers; I'm a slave to the yeast, not the other way around.

Yeah, there are too many factors. I actually stopped harvesting my yeast because I wanted to be 100% happy with what I was brewing before reusing. I also stopped using WLP001 for the most part and just use US05.

So, along with pitching too high, we don't know the quality of the yeast you harvested and if you over or underpitched.

It might mellow and be tolerable. My Dad made a brown that had a similar problem, and it was tough to drink at first, but the general flavor of the brown and the harvested WLP002 mellowed a bit with time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
I also stopped using WLP001 for the most part and just use US05.
I seem to have the least 'luck' with S-05 between S-05/WLP001/WY1056. Apple-y/Pear-y sometimes, even when fermented cool.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
I seem to have the least 'luck' with S-05 between S-05/WLP001/WY1056. Apple-y/Pear-y sometimes, even when fermented cool.
+1 If I want neutral, attenuative yeast...pacman get's the call.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Same here, tons of apple/pear from S-05 and much less from the liquid products. I tried to figure out why and couldn't so I suspect it is not the same strain as the other two. It could be the same strain captured at a different time but 05 is the newest of the products and modern Sierra Neveda certainly does not have a lot of apple and pear. Not a bad character per se, but different than the supposed equivalent liquid strain by a wide margin.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
wgentzel
Recipes 

Quote:
A glass thermometer right next to the side of the carboy, or even touching the carboy is absolutely no indication of what the temperature is inside. I really think the fermentation kicked off before the temp got down.

Any yeast that you pitch too high is going to get all estery and whatnot. You said you pitched at ~78 degrees. That means this thing could be in the low 80s when it fermented.

As for it being sweet, what was the OG/FG of this batch?

(PS, go to your brew store and get the stick on thermos. If you don't have a place near by, go to the pet store, its better than not having one at all)
The OF/FG listed at the top are actual, not predicted, so it's 1.057 OG and 1.010FG (so far). It's still letting loose some occasional bubbles though and there is the slightest layer of foam on top as well. I hope it doesn't get too much drier though.

Also, unfortunately no homebrew stores here sell the stickon thermometers. I live in South Korea and supplies are very limited, but the pet store idea sounds great. I'll check that out and see if I can find one.

Quote:
Flocculation was mediumish as it always is. It was an american brown ale. I put it on tap for a party in march and called it a belgian brown ale and nobody called my bluff but nobody got seconds either. I haven't tasted it since then. Now that you reminded me I'll taste it soon.
Awesome, I'd be really interested in knowing if it has mellowed out! Actually, I guess if it's really bubblegummy I could just give it to Koreans here. They LOVE sweet things. I literally had some coleslaw last night that was just shredded cabbage, covered in kiwi dressing and sprinkles!

Quote:
If you harvested this yeast from an IPA it was likely stressed so that may have played a part (did you make a starter with it or just pitch?). Also, if you pitched at 78* F then you must have aerated at 78* F or higher and you probably didn't get as much O2 in solution as needed, something yeast (esp stressed yeast) won't like.

It seems the more I brew the more I realize that in order to make my best beers; I'm a slave to the yeast, not the other way around.

I did not make a started, but this was washed yeast from a yeast cake. Other times I have done this have been very successful, and I pitched about 1/3-1/4 the yeast that was harvested directly into the aerated wort.

And I never really considered that 78F would greatly affect my ability to aerate the wort. Do you know what kind of off flavors to expect in a beer that has not been aerated properly?

Primary: Centennial IPA
Secondary: None
Kegged: None
Bottled: None
On Deck: Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Now brewing in South Korea!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

--Ben Franklin

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #16
wgentzel
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, there are too many factors. I actually stopped harvesting my yeast because I wanted to be 100% happy with what I was brewing before reusing. I also stopped using WLP001 for the most part and just use US05.

Quote:

Quote:
+1 If I want neutral, attenuative yeast...pacman get's the call.

I agree with all you guys and wouldn't use WLP001 as my first choice, but like I said I am in South Korea. There are about 6 ale yeasts you can buy here, and about all of them overlap (e.g. WLP001/US-05, WLP007/S-04, etc.) Then, even among these ones available, most are sold out 99% of the time. The only one I have been able to consistently buy is S-04. ANd that's at $4.00 a pack. WLP yeasts typically are $15 a piece. Wyeast is $20 a piece. And that's if they ever have any in stock!

I wash and harvest more out of necessity than anything else

Primary: Centennial IPA
Secondary: None
Kegged: None
Bottled: None
On Deck: Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Now brewing in South Korea!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

--Ben Franklin

Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a similar issue with a repitch of US-05, and I was hoping for some sort of answer here. I ended up just figuring it to be a mutation and started with a fresh pack of yeast rather than repitch from the unexpected Belgian.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #18
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's the best way to get into fermentation range when pitching? I first learned to brew in the early 1990s and then fell away for a number of years, only to come back in the last year or so. I am finding that a lot of what I remembered as my common practices are not acceptable. I used to always get my beer down to a temperature below what would kill the yeast and then pitch. I always shot for anything south of 80F and at or just above optimum range, then set in a fridge dialed in at the center of the yeast's optimum range.

Do I need to do the ice bath? Do I need to put an airlock on and leave it in my fridge for 24 hours before I pitch?

Quick Reply