Is my Lager yeast going to be OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ_Brew

Reaction score
So I was getting ready to start a Vienna Lager today and when I hooked up the hose to the hose bib and turned it on for the season I discovered I had a pipe freeze over the winter. So instead of brewing, I got to clean up gallons and gallons of water in the basement. The problem is I had popped the nutrient pack of the wyeast bag and let it sit out with the Mexacan lagerwhite labs yeast on the counter all day. If I put them both back in the fridge and hold off the brew until next weeked will they be ok to use?

Make a starter today or tomorrow with that that one pack and cold crash it Thursday. You are waaaay under pitching anyways.

Thanks guys for the tips. This will be only my second true lager. The first went well with the same amount of yeast pitched so didn't think much of it. I will deffinatley take your advice and do a couple starters. Cheers!!

You can make an ok beer with an under pitch as long as it's not too drastic. It's just that if you do a proper pitch, you can end up with great beer.

I used to do lagers with a 2L stirred starters from 1 smack pack per 5G and ferment at 50F. I always noticed a slight ester flavor so I decided one time i'd do a mega-pitch to see if it made a difference. I pitched a calculated 1.4 Trillion cells to 10G of 1.057 wort and the results were outstanding. Not a hint of off flavors anywhere. Just sweet grain and mild hops. Making that much yeast was a hassle but the beer it made was great.

Back