My first yeast starter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian4508

Reaction score
My first yeast starter from harvested yeast for a 1 gallan SMaSH THIS WEEKEND. SO excited!

image-3623091656.jpg

Nottingham yeast with a 1/2 liter starter for a 1 gallon SMaSH (tbd). On a homemade stir plate to boot!

Please tell me you haven't used a whole pack of Nottingham in a 500ml starter to ferment 1 gallon of wort.

4 oz of harvested yeast. Yes, I know of the debate. I 'hope' to calculate the amount to use in my batch once I decide on what I want to do. This is my first time using the stir plate and first time using harvested yeast, not to mention my first smash. So basically a 1 gallon experiment all around. If it turns out bad, so be it. I'm after the process this weekend!

I harvested a Nottingham. I wanted to use that as a practice before I use and harvest a WLP500 (for a belgian strong ale) a WLP002 (for a parti gyle from the Belgian strong) and a WLP001 for a celebration clone. I'd rather waste the Nottingham than one of the others if things go bad.

ChillWill said:
Please tell me you haven't used a whole pack of Nottingham in a 500ml starter to ferment 1 gallon of wort.

I would never use dry in a starter...

4 oz of harvested yeast. Yes, I know of the debate. I 'hope' to calculate the amount to use in my batch once I decide on what I want to do. This is my first time using the stir plate and first time using harvested yeast, not to mention my first smash. So basically a 1 gallon experiment all around. If it turns out bad, so be it. I'm after the process this weekend!

Let us know!

pabloj13 said:
He said it was harvested yeast.

Ok, was just testing you.

You'll be glad to know you passed the test. Haha.

Can't remember where I read it but I remember someone saying Nottingham attenuates like crazy when it's been through a few generations (could be their practices of course, but interesting to see what you get).

I appreciate all the comments. I am new at this so any replies are welcome, along with any tips!

Back