mr malty??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
i just need to get this cleared up..
if I'm using re pitching from slurry and it says that i need 87ml of yeast. is that the amount that i pitch or the amount that i need to get the starter going? if i need to build up to 87ml then how do i figure out how much to start the starter with?

You don't NEED a starter when repatching from slurry. That amount is for just tipping the slurry in to the wort (at least, that's what I've always done and fermentation goes well.....much more rapidly than when I use starters). If my yeast slurry is more than a week or two old, I make a starter. You'll get a lot of different opinions about starters/yeast cake/washed yeast, though.

i just need to get this cleared up..
if I'm using re pitching from slurry and it says that i need 87ml of yeast. is that the amount that i pitch or the amount that i need to get the starter going? if i need to build up to 87ml then how do i figure out how much to start the starter with?

That's the amount you pitch, no starter necessary. It is also assuming you have a fresh slurry. If you are using yeast that has been stored for more than 2 weeks, you should account for some loss in viability. That loss is going to be tied to the length of time you've been storing the yeast.

Mr Malty has you input a collection date so it takes into account the age of the slurry and adjusts the viability and thus the amount.

Make sure you put in the correct date. For some reason it always defaults to March 24 when I use it and if I don't change the date I get large amounts of slurry to use.

Back