May have overheated yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluejays219

Reaction score
Question: At what temperature does yeast die?

Story:
We harvested our saison yeast out of the carboy last Sunday and water to re pitch it.
Put it in a starter this morning .
I just got home went down the the basement to check on my starter.
We're using a super old stir/heat plate, and it appears the heat decided to work.
I checked the temperature of the glass and it was at about 101F
To add to the fun the stir bar let loose and wasn't stirring anymore.
The yeast was sitting at the bottom of the flask for about 7 hours at 100F( I checked on it around lunch)

I just added more dme to see if I can revive it.

Did I just kill my culture?

Cheers

Justin

If I remember my baking information correctly, yeast isn't killed until the temperature reaches 130° or 140°F. The high temp may have stressed the yeast, but a new starter wort will get you going again.

I've made a saison in the middle of summer in Phoenix and did so in my garage, it likely got above 100 F. Your yeast is likely okay.

Thanks for the help guys!

As a follow up: I added more DME and let it stir for another ~20 hours. I was a bit skeptical, but went ahead and pitched it anyways. We are coming up on 48 hours from pitch and its showing no signs of activity. I bought some more saison yeast from bells and am going to re pitch new yeast.

Congrats! You've just learned the best lesson as far as the homebrew hobby goes. Patience. Very pleased to hear that it got going

Back