Made mistake! Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Hi guys. I decided to brew a batch a beer 4 hours before i had to go to work yesterday so i was rushing through my entire process.

Long story short, every thing went great...until i forgot to
Change my fermentation chamber temp controller setting from 38* (the temp i use to keep beers in between brew days) to 68 before I left for my 24 hour shift.

Basically have my yeast have been freezing or have frozen to..? Hibernation, death? I just now opened up my ferm chamber and changed it to the proper setting. Should i repitch? I have more of the same yeast on hand so that would not be a problem. Or should i just let em warm up a bit and all will be OK?

Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Just let it warm up to fermenting temperature and it'll be fine. No need to repitch, all of the yeast are still in there. The cold temps won't kill them. Maybe swirl it up again after it warms up.

Yeast will stay alive well below freezing temps as long as the medium (in this case the beer) hasn't frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks guys. Appreciate the peace of mind. She has been bubbling along since warming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Back