Kiwi in the Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbpiv

Reaction score
Hello!

A friend and I brewed a Wheat beer a few weeks, and we thought we would make it a Kiwi Wheat. Our idea is to rack to the secondary, onto 7-8#'s of Kiwi, and place the carboy in the fridge. We don't want the yeast to eat up the sugars, rather take all that kiwi flavor straight out of the fruit into the beer.

That being said, what steps would you recommend to avoid contamination? With keeping the carboy cold in the secondary, would that avoid the risk of any wild yeasts spoiling the beer? Or what should we be doing?

Thanks for the advise!

The problem I see with the idea is even though you're chilling it to prevent the yeast from eating the sugars that's not going to stop sugars from leeching out of the fruit into the beer. Then once you warm it back up for bottling the yeast are going to consume the sugars at that time.

I have no input other than my original concern which isn't a concern so much if you're kegging. As for the process Ive never used fruit in my beer so I have no advice. But your thoughts sound good. I would think the cold would prevent anything from growing. But if you got some sours in there it could be interesting with the kiwi.

Back