IPA tastes just like a Belgium Beer, Yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok not to offend Belgium beer drinkers but I brewed an IPA that I have made before. The last time it was awesome! 5 gallons gone in 90 minutes at an office party. I made the same batch again and it tastes like a Belgium beer. I know that it got a little warm during fermentation, aroun 76-78 degrees for a good 12 hours. Could this be the cause? I m going to pour it out now. :-(

thank you,
Tom

I know that it got a little warm during fermentation, aroun 76-78 degrees for a good 12 hours. Could this be the cause? I m going to pour it out now. :-(

thank you,
Tom

Definitely! "Hot" fermentation can produce esters, which are fruity flavors. I ferment most of my "clean" ale yeast in the low 60s to avoid esters.

I used and English Ale yeast from the LHBS same yeast as before. This was a DFH 60 min clone and it called for temp at 71 and then let it rise to 74 to clean up the diacetyl. I know it was way warmer than that for a while. So if you ferment in the low 60s how do you prevent diacetyl?

I used and English Ale yeast from the LHBS same yeast as before. This was a DFH 60 min clone and it called for temp at 71 and then let it rise to 74 to clean up the diacetyl. I know it was way warmer than that for a while. So if you ferment in the low 60s how do you prevent diacetyl?

Well, some yeast strains don't produce much diacetyl to begin with. But for the ones that do, an extended primary will take care of the diacetyl without going over an optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast.

Remember when you follow a recipe to follow the instructions for the yeast strain as far as temperature for fermentation, not the recipe instructions! Some yeast strains are ok at above 70 degrees, some get superfruity, some get downright nasty (nottingham over 72 degrees is foul!).

Each yeast manufacturer has the best information for each strain right their website- including if they are a noted diacetyl producer. Some English strains, like Ringwood, are notorious for diacetyl. I avoid those if I don't want to have a diacetyl note.

Well, some yeast strains don't produce much diacetyl to begin with. But for the ones that do, an extended primary will take care of the diacetyl without going over an optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast.

Remember when you follow a recipe to follow the instructions for the yeast strain as far as temperature for fermentation, not the recipe instructions! Some yeast strains are ok at above 70 degrees, some get superfruity, some get downright nasty (nottingham over 72 degrees is foul!). QUOTE]

Awesome! I need t let me beers sit in primary longer, especially some of the bigger beers I do like 90 min IPA and Double Bastard clones I make. I need to get out of the habit of trying to get them out of primary after 7-10 when I have an OG od 1.080-1.112 :)

Would the esters pass with time? May be worth a shot, then dry hop again? :mug:

belgian IPAs are awesome IMO. but don't throw your beer out! you didn't say how long it's been or if it's in bottles or if you're just tasting from your gravity sample, but let it sit in your primary or secondary for another week, bottle and let it sit in the bottles for a month and see how it is after that.

Latest posts

Back