INISBC 291 Saison Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupert130

Reaction score
I am starting this thread to gather all information on Inland Island yeast strain 291.
I have brewed a "session saison" that is currently bottle coditioning. My initial impressions are this: It seems to strip out and leave very little hop flavor or aroma. This is in comparison to an APA made from the same batch of wort. The flavor is light, slightly fruity, a little bubblegum in the nose. It's all very subtle warm and flat. I will update when I pop the first bottle.
I hope to gather more info on this strain from the community at large.
Thanks

I sampled the first bottle of session saison and it is very good. The yeast flavors definitely come through with proper carbonation. The mouthfeel is very full especially considering that it finished at 1.004. The closest commercial example would be Boulevard Tank 7 with the current recipe.

Lhbs was out of 3522 so i have to wait to try the gnome trial, i think i will add wlp550 to the test as well. Not sure if gigayeast has an achouffe strain of their own.

I did however pick up the farmhouse strain. I am doing a 10 gal split between this and wyeast 3726pc farmhouse. 66%/33% pils/spelt. Very excited

Lhbs was out of 3522 so i have to wait to try the gnome trial, i think i will add wlp550 to the test as well. Not sure if gigayeast has an achouffe strain of their own.

I did however pick up the farmhouse strain. I am doing a 10 gal split between this and wyeast 3726pc farmhouse. 66%/33% pils/spelt. Very excited

Awesome, looking forward to the results

I've used this strain for about 4 brews, all were fantastic. I did a straight up farmhouse, I did a belgian IPA which was just superb, and I did a saison de noel with it as well, which I currently have on-tap. This is my house saison strain, the ester profile it throws is just fantastic. I documented my belgian IPA quite well here (see the last post on that page for my ferm schedule).

Any results on this batch you'd like to share?

My 2nd batch with this yeast is over 48 hrs into fermentation. It is going well. I brewed an ammended version of my American Wheat recipe. Subbed some hops. Split the 11 gallon batch into 2 carboys and pitched wb-06 and INISBC 291. I am looking forward to seeing how 50% white wheat affects the finished product.

yeah i'm looking to hear how it does with wheat as well. I used this strain a split batch with my red IPA this weekend. I did this in the fall with a reg ipa and it was fantastic.

yeah i'm looking to hear how it does with wheat as well. I used this strain a split batch with my red IPA this weekend. I did this in the fall with a reg ipa and it was fantastic.

Just bottled and the taste has a bit of a citrus note. Otherwise it's hard to tell. The last time I used it the flavors didn't truly come out until it was all carbed up.

It turned out fantastic. A nice pale beer with good head. Spritzy and refreshing. Citrus fruit notes and good body.

I just used the INSBSC Chouffe strain (Belgian Gnome ale I believe) for a few brews, one was a Belgian IPA similar to what I have done before with this farmhouse strain. Both the blonde and belgian IPA made with Chouffe yeast were good brews, but with the IPA wort the farmhouse strain throws a lot more complex esters than the Chouffe strain did. I wanted to try something else but i'll be pulling out this farmhouse strain again next time I do something belgian with an IPA wort.

Yeah the Red IPA fermented with this strain also was really really good. That keg kicked much faster than I wanted it to this spring!

Hey folks, would you mind sharing your fermentation schedules for the INIS-291 Saison Farmhouse strain?

I'm not local to the Denver area, and tried to get it when I was in town recently. I was unsuccessful, so I emailed Inland Island and it's looking like they might ship to me. My plan would be to make something between a hoppy saison and a Belgian IPA with a heavy dose of Barbe Rouge hops in the whirlpool and dry hop.

Maybe the right way to use this yeast is to treat it like Dupont? i.e., pitch in the low 70s and let free rise to 95 over the first few days, then let it sit on the yeast for a few weeks?

Maybe the right way to use this yeast is to treat it like Dupont? i.e., pitch in the low 70s and let free rise to 95 over the first few days, then let it sit on the yeast for a few weeks?

yes thats what I've been doing with this strain for years. I love this strain. In fact I just did a version with a mixed culture of this this and another farmhouse strain that I dont like as much as the straight 291. I generally pitch around 70 and ramp up to 90-95 by day 5. My ferm chamber is really big so free rising doesn't work that great for me. I have used it for saison and belgian IPA both with fantastic results. I love that belgian IPA i've got to do that again soon.

Back