Increasing batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrein1

Reaction score
for my next brew I am going to for the first time increase the batch size from 5 to 10 gallons. I know you have to increase the grain amount and water with the batch size and I have that figured out. Does the same go for yeast? I buy White labs. Is 1 tube good for a 10 gallon batch as well or do I need to get 2 tubes as well?

You will need more yeast. You should already be making starters for your 5 gallon batches. It all depends on the gravity of the beer you are brewing as to how much yeast you need.

Check out mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on yeast counts and making starters.

BTW to pitch proper amounts for 10 gallons you would be looking at about 5-7 vials, not 2.

You can use 1 vial and step up a starter or use 2 vials and make a normal starter. Pitching 1 vial into 5 gallons is underpitching, but 1 vial into 10 gallons is WAY underpitching.

If you really want to brew great beer, before you increase your batch sizes you should invest in the equipment to make yeast starters (stir plate, flasks, nutrient, etc). Then read Yeast by Jamil and Chris White.

Latest posts

Back