Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I completely underestimated role of oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #271
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I turn off the regulator, as well as the valve on the O2 cylinder (a 20 cubic foot) before removing the wand from the tubing. I keep my original wand in the platic bag it came in. The newer wand (just got the wand this time) gets stored with the stone wrapped in aluminum foil. Both get a dunk in StarSan, with O2 pushed through them, before being stored.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #272
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I leave it attached to the tubing, but other than that I'm the same as GoldDiggie (with the plastic, not the foil).

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #273
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you wanted to try oxygenation on the cheap, I wonder could you used a sanitized airstone & tubing that you typically find in aquarium use with a small pump (granted it would have to be run a lot longer than using pure O2)?

If so I think you could do a test for under $12, I'm just not sure an aquarium airstone would be safe to use.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #274
coypoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas
If you wanted to try oxygenation on the cheap, I wonder could you used a sanitized airstone & tubing that you typically find in aquarium use with a small pump (granted it would have to be run a lot longer than using pure O2)?

If so I think you could do a test for under $12, I'm just not sure an aquarium airstone would be safe to use.
That would be aerating not oxygenating bc you're using room air

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #275
BryanJ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post

That would work, using air you can get a max of 8ppm of o2 into wort. You would need a inline filter to make sure your not injecting anything into your wort.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #276
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas

Most decent homebrew shops sell an aeration setup with aquarium pump, airstone, tubing, and filter.

I bought one a while back, but I don't really recommend it, since for just marginally more money ($15-20), you can get a much better *oxygenation* setup that uses the disposable welding tanks.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #277
Bones1948
Recipes 

Room air being 21% O2, an aquarium pump would do well. Certainly much more efficient than shaking and sloshing for 10 minutes. Run some sanitizer (booze, StarSan) thru tubing and soak the aquarium stone in same. Filter the air with a wet (sanitizer) cotton ball at the pump inlet or stuff a small amount of wet cotton into the tubing just in front of the stone using a match stick or similar. Fix the tubing/stone to some wire (length of coat hanger) with some tiny boat ties (cable ties) then sanitize the apparatus with sanitizer squirted by mist bottle ($.99 at Walley-World). The wire/Tubing apparatus enables getting the stone to bottom of wort (otherwise the stone just floats on top of wort). I'd bubble the wort for 3-4 minutes. You will probably then have bubbling in the air lock in <8 hours, probably 6, I'd bet on 4 depending on the temperature of the wort.

Please report back to us with success, failure, pitfalls or other pearls of wisdom.

Bones

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #278
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1948 View Post
Room air being 21% O2, an aquarium pump would do well. Certainly much more efficient than shaking and sloshing for 10 minutes.
It all depends on how you define efficient. As far as physical effort, yes. As far as time it takes to properly aerate, there's evidence that shaking is your best bet for quick aeration if you're just using air.

http://www.brewangels.com/Beerformat...ionMethods.pdf

Fake it til you make it.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #279
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

So far in the last week I have done five (2.5 gallon) brew in the bag brews. I am using buckets instead of carboys. I let the O2 have strong bubbles and added O2 for 12-15 seconds per batch. For all 5 brews I made yeast starters and there is no activity in any of the airlocks so I am wondering if I did something wrong with the aeration. (I know that no airlock activity is not an indication of lack of fermentation). I plan to check on the first brews SG later today.

Any idea if I did something wrong? Should I have stirred the wort after adding the O2? Should I have let the O2 run longer because of using buckets instead of carboys?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #280
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yeast will not go anaerobic and produce CO2 and ethanol when there is oxygen available. Maybe they are just consuming the O2 you saturated the fermenters withuntil they run out? Are the seals on the buckets working? I think that if there is fermentation going on then the airlock should be active (assuming the airlock is the easiest way out.)

Quick Reply