How long is a smackpack good for after "smacking" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
Well, I had every intention of brewing Sunday......smacked my yeast to let it get ready for that afternoon.....

but other things got in the way, and here I am on Wed with it still swelled up on the counter.......

..wait, that don't sound right does it? :)

anyway, would it be better to get a new pack, or is this still any good?

Wyeast brand if that matters.....Belgian 3522 I think......

It's not the end of the world if you smack a few days in advance, but it's not recommended. Really, depending on temperature it was held at and how old the yeast pack is, you're just going to have a low cell count. I'd do a yeast starter if at all possible. Also, I've included a video from Wyeast themselves on this, but in your case, I'd say a yeast starter is recommended to get up to a respectable pitching count.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely good. Take it and make a starter. After it's finished fermenting, pop it in the fridge until you're ready to brew.

On the morning of brew day, decant and leave the slurry out to warm up. It'll be good to go by the time you're ready to pitch.

Back