How effective is the drill with mixing paddles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Method to aerate the wort. I'm at Home Depot and seen the paddles for about 12 dollars,I was thinking of picking one up since I have a drill already.

very effective. it will make your wort look like a root beer float

Actually I guess it was the deal of the day. Gone now. I sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hmmm decisions decisions how much am I looking at for a cheap o2 setup?

MudMixer/PaintStirrer, drill. Spray StarSan. Keep drill/mixer angled so (a) drill not over bucket and (b) can *REALLY* make a hella-mess if you squeeze the trigger too hard :)

Ive been trying the olive oil method lately. I use dry yeast and rehydrate with a drop of oil in the rehydrating water. Krausen has been insane since I started doing it. One drip for five gallons is almost too much, but its quite difficult to get less than that with my equipment. Works like a MF'er though. Theres some research on the internet out there on it and new belgium was working with it for awhile.

Ive been trying the olive oil method lately. I use dry yeast and rehydrate with a drop of oil in the rehydrating water. Krausen has been insane since I started doing it. One drip for five gallons is almost too much, but its quite difficult to get less than that with my equipment. Works like a MF'er though. Theres some research on the internet out there on it and new belgium was working with it for awhile.

I have never heard of the olive oil method does that work the same for liquid yeas starters.

MudMixer/PaintStirrer, drill. Spray StarSan. Keep drill/mixer angled so (a) drill not over bucket and (b) can *REALLY* make a hella-mess if you squeeze the trigger too hard :)

That's really great advice because knowing me I would have done the exact opposite of what you are saying.

Whats this?

Never heard about it for fermentation. Although an article I read said that olive oil (amongst others) does change the hops when it comes to taste and aroma. It's the blending of different oils which makes the difference.

Just a tiny amount of olive oil apparently has the same trace elements that yeast need already. The whole point of oxygenation is for the yeast to create those acids or fats or whatever it is they need for healthy fermentation. When I get out of work I will post a link to the study.

Found it. The following is a link to the New Belgium study thesis.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

Here is a link to an HBT thread about the study, with some positives and negatives from our community.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-olive-oil-instead-oxygen-47872/

Personally I like it, and use it and have had great success. I don't notice any loss in head retention or an increase in esters or any of the negative results others have posted. but at the same time I only use *1 drop* for a 5 gallon batch. That may be the key, YMMV.

this is what I use, it fits in a carboy so thats a plus for sure, and it works well for degassing skeeter pee / mead and what have you. IIRC you need to disolve the olive oil in alochol (Vodka or the like) so that it just doesnt float on top and so that the yeast can use it fully. this makes it easier to use amounts smaller than a drop as well since its mixed with alochol then you can add that in smaller quantities making it easy to get half a drop worth or w/e you are going for.
ex add one drop of oil to 4ml of vodka then shake it up then just add 2ml to the wort successfully adding only half a drop worth of oil.

7136BFPtmxL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19629546
I use this drill mounted paint stirrer for mash in, batch sparging and to whirlpool while using my wort chiller. I get much better efficiency with it and cool my wort in minutes instead of tens of minutes. Definitely makes the brew day go much easier. I expect you could also use it for aerating the wort before pitching the yeast.

paint stirrer.jpg

I use this drill mounted paint stirrer for mash in, batch sparging and to whirlpool while using my wort chiller. I get much better efficiency with it and cool my wort in minutes instead of tens of minutes. Definitely makes the brew day go much easier. I expect you could also use it for aerating the wort before pitching the yeast.

I use the metal one for mashing in and batch sparging as well...picked it up from a buddy...surprised more people dont use this.

Now THAT is a sexy beast! Im gonna have to get me one of those. Using for chilling and whirlpool is a fantastic idea!

Back