Highish FG: Wait, or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtw

Reaction score
I brewed up a Dunkelweizen 18 days ago, and the recipe data from brewersfriend lists an expected FG of 1.013. I'm at 1.021, which is where it's been for 11 days or so.

I would normally bottle this weekend, after 3 weeks. But I've had a bad experience with bottle bombs once before, so I'm paranoid about bottling before all the fermentables are eaten by the yeast.

Should I wait? I really don't think it's gonna attenuate any further. (Air temps have been pretty consistent, at 62-69F.)

Should I pitch more yeast, on the theory that the yeast has gone wrong somehow? (I kinda don't think so; the beer tastes pretty good, just a bit sweeter than I'd expected.)

Or should I just bottle as planned, and assume the yeast has fully done its job?

OG was 1.055. In primary for 2 weeks, then I racked to secondary.

Thanks!

Once you rack to secondary, there is no more yeast to eat those sugars. If you want to try to bring down those numbers, you would have to pitch more yeast.

There will be yeast, but their numbers will be significantly reduced.

I would pitch some new yeast and wait a week then see if your gravity changed at all. If it doesn't, you may have mashed too high or didn't get a complete conversion due to lack of enzymes.

Thanks for the replies.

More data: I mashed at 151F for 75 min. Volume into fermenter: 3.2 gal. WLP300 yeast. Grain bill:

German pilsner: 2.5#
Wheat malt: 4#
Munich: 0.3#
Caramunich: 0.3#

Brew day was fine, pitch temp was 70F.

There will be yeast, but their numbers will be significantly reduced.

I would pitch some new yeast and wait a week then see if your gravity changed at all. If it doesn't, you may have mashed too high or didn't get a complete conversion due to lack of enzymes.

Good point, I guess I should have said- There won't be enough yeast to bring down those numers. I never rack to secondary unless it's a big beer that needs longer to mellow.

the problem was taking the beer off of the yeast cake needed to ferment the beer. avoid doing this in the future and you won't have this under attenuation problem.

Back