Help! can yeast survive a big temp drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razzle

Reaction score
i pitched danish lager yeast at 56 on Jan 12th, set up primary fermentation on my back porch. it sat for almost a week at 50ish temps, then we got an arctic freeze in vermont - porch temperature was in the 20's. thermometer on ale pail only goes down to 36, and it was definitely colder than that :eek:. i couldn't move it off the porch for 2 days, and now it's stable at 54. can the yeast recover? it had a good week at lagering temps before it dropped. i had planned to move to secondary this weekend, but don't want to shock the yeast too much. any advice?

The yeast likely survived. You should check the gravity to see how far along the fermentation is. I would give it some more time at the poper temps, since activity probably stalled while the temp was low.

It sounds like the ferm should be mostly finished. You were really able to hold a consistent 50 degrees on your porch?

I would keep it at lager temp for at least another week, just so the yeast have enough time to wake back up and clean up any off flavors.

Back