Healthy Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dtrain

Reaction score
So I did my first ever yeast started yesterday. I don't have a stir plate or flask yet so I used two sanitized mason jars holding about 1L each. After 16 hours its looking like this.

I've been aerating it about every hour or so by gently stirring with a sanitized chopstick. It really foams up when I do that and eventually settles down.

Planning on pitching about 3pm or so today.

QUestions:

1) How's it look?

2) Do I decant the majority of the liquid before I pitch?

Thanks,
Dtrain

photo.jpg

Looks fine.

You can either pitch the whole thing into your wort, or put them in the fridge for a day and pour out the liquid and pitch the slurry.

I pitch the whole thing.

If you want to decant the spent wort, you'd have to stick them in the fridge now and stop stirring it up. The spent wort is cloudy with non-flocculated yeast. If you decant it like that, you'll throw away a ton of yeast.

You can decant or not- 2 quarts of liquid won't change the beer. I'd probably just pitch it all, unless the wort was perfectly clear and the yeast all settled to the bottom.

Looks like a couple 'o healthy starters to me! Pitch the whole thing with a starter that small.

Back