Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvest yeast from primary or secdonary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
jamieboot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Harvest yeast from primary or secdonary?

I'm about to harvest some wyeast 1056 for the first time on an IPA I have fermenting at the moment.

I plan to transfer to a secondary and dry hop after initial fermentation has dyed down (4-7 days).

When is the best time to harvest the yeast?

Should I take it from the primary or secondary fermenters?

Thanks

Jamie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Generally, you'd want to harvest the yeast from primary since it should be a bit healthier the less time it spends in an alcoholic environment. Plus, there will be a lot more yeast to harvest from the primary. There's basically two ways to harvest: 1)on the day you rack from primary to secondary, follow the yeast washing sticky at the top of this forum or 2) skim some of the yeast at high krausen, mix it into some boiled and cooled water, and then seal the mixture in sterilized mason jars (this method works great if you ferment in a bucket, but skimming from a carboy is difficult). Both methods work great, but the second option is a bit easier.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

+1 Rory. Get it from the primary!

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

+2 to primary. 1056 washes really well too. Follow the sticky.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You also have to realize that any of the yeast that ends up not flocculated by the time you want to rack to a secondary is going to be the second string yeast. The slowest, least active; least flocculnat yeast. You really want the bench sitters to be your main fermenting strain next time?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Couple of things....

You really don't want to harvest yeast from an high abv and highly hopped beer.

I like to ferment for a couple of weeks in the primary before harvesting the yeast cake for washing or re-use. That way I know I'll get a true mix of the yeast including the the "second string" yeast which will be more attenuative.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
jamieboot
Recipes 

Thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply