Gravity hasn't changed in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold71

Reaction score
Ok so I'm making a Dunkel. It spent a week in the primary fermenter, I took a gravity reading which was at about 1.020 from the OG of 1.049. It's been sitting in the secondary for another week now. I took another gravity today and it seems to be sitting still at 1.020. This is my first batch ever so I'm not 100% sure but something feels wrong.

I only have 3 all-grain brews or any brews for that matter under my belt. I did what you have done for my first 2 brews. Recorded the OG and moved from Primary to Secondary after 7 days and no change in gravity. Bottled from Secondary a week later and let bottle condition for 14-30 days and it turned out great !!!

I am trying something new for my 3rd brew. Keeping in Primary for 2-3wks then Bottling. From what I have read you haven't done anything wrong, some choose to move to a Secondary. IMO from reading there is no need to move a ALE to a Secondary before Bottling ( Someone please add, if I am way off base)

Cheers !!!!

I'm wondering if there is a way to recharge it or something? I'm sitting at only about 3.8% ABV a bit far from the 5-5.5% I should be at. Good idea btw..I think I'll just keep my next Ale in the primary the whole time.

You could try rausing the yeast by gently swirling your carboy.
You didn't say whether this was an AG or extract batch. If its an AG batch, it my not go any lower due to a few factors.

I had the same problem, and I was told 3 things:

1 - Repitch with yeast that's already activated - get a sachet into luke warm water and a tablespoon of sugar to activate for a few hours, then mix through your brew

2 - Stir the contents up gently - if your brew is at the right temperature, this should re-activate the yeast

3 - For whatever reason, your brew could simply have just stopped fermenting at 1.020. It's still relatively high, but common for a brew to finish at 1.020.

*I've done 1, I did 2 this morning, and I'm waiting for a reading tomorrow or the day after to decide whether to bottle or not.

If you search this forum you will find that "stuck fermentations" at 1.020 are pretty common. The three items above are a good start to "unstick" your fermentation. I haven't taken a survey, but the general consensus is that

1. Make a good, healthy starter for your yeast to avoid sticking. Don't be afraid to pitch too much yeast.
2. Make sure your wort is aerated AFTER cooling. Sloshing it in the fermenter, pouring it back and forth or buying an aeration wand (what I use) are all recommended.
3. Don't pitch yeast into warm or hot wort. Let your wort cool to 77 degrees at least, 70 degrees is even better.

My stuck fermentations haven't always been solved, I believe all my failures have been with high gravity ales... where yeast health is vital.

Thanks for the ideas all, This is an extract kit btw. Should I try and buy the same yeast that came with the kit? I think next time i'm going to keep it in the primary the whole time and see if this changes anything. I'll be honest i'm kind of nervous about stirring my beer up.. I may keg this in a week, chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on to the next batch. It tasted pretty good just a little on the weak side.

Just thought I'd share with everyone that I gave the brew just a gentle stir for about a minute and within minutes I had bubble activity :) fingers crossed.

Back