Glad I used a blow off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonLT

Reaction score
Brewed a Russian Imperial Stout yesterday, OG was 1.075, so I made sure to use a blow off tube because I figured it was going to be active. Plus, I was putting this one in a closet in my gear room, so I wasn't taking any chances. Glad I did, because after 24 hours she is rocking!

ForumRunner_20131202_192919.png

ForumRunner_20131202_192937.jpg

I'm crossing my fingers for the opposite reason. I brewed a RIS on Saturday then departed for 3 weeks in Europe on Sunday. I used Notty and it's at 60-62F. It was active, but not hyper when I left. I pitched 3 packs, hydrated then woken up in a starter for a few hours, and oxygenated the wort at pitching and 12 hrs later. So it should be quite happy about now. The wife won't be pleased if an airlock blows out.

I pitched one package of US-04 and it's sitting at about 66-67 degrees. I can just sit and watch it push through the blow off tube.

Happened to me..once...won't happen again.
Thank God I was using a temp. controlled freezer!
Quite a surprise to open the door and the interior was brown.

Back